One week PS post-op...hurrah

Monica B.
on 10/2/06 3:53 am - Emery, SD
My PS went so very well and I am really amazed and happy that I took this journey, I went to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, MA. Dr.Glen Brook and his fabulous NP, Leah Kenny performed the PS and my Gastric Bypass surgeon, Dr. Faillo fixed the surprisingly, large ventral hernia. The surgery took almost 5 hours as I had bilateral breast reduction and lift; hernia repair....my abdominal area is triple layer trussed with internal closure of the hernia similar to a laced up corset so that muscles are really tightened up (I have had 3 c-sections and a large gall bladder incision from1970), and my upper and lower abdominal area had absolutely no support or strength); and then skin removal. All of my previous surgical scars (9) are gone....GONE. I have a long incision from hip to hip just above my pubic mons and then a long incision up my middle through my belly button, ending just between my new perky high breasts. I am healing very well. I have had little pain and minimal discomfort. I have good nipple feeling and no pain from the under the breast incisions. On either side of my breasts under my arms are the only black and blue bruises I have. I am wearing a cheap Wal-Mart sport, T-back, halter top with stretchy elastic under sheath. The two beast drains were removed Tuesday just before I was released. I have 2 drains left in by my hip incisions and they should be removed tomorrow at another follow up visit. I am so amazed at the length of the hip to hip incision.....many, many "stitches" held together with clear plastic like duct tape and strips that will just fall off when ready. My initial pain came from this large incision and from the violent upper abdominal muscle spasms. I had morphine in the hospital and was released with percocet and valium. I am very thankful for the valium as Leah explained that the hernia repair and muscle tightening would cause these intense spasms and wow was she so right. These spasms finally lessened and are only minimal today. I no longer am taking any pain meds, but continue with the valium 2 x's a day and taking the antibiotics. I had some constipation and fear of "pushing" for a bowel movement but I finally had success on Saturday....OHHHH that felt so good and normal. Not very interested to eat and have had to make myself eat and get in enough protein to help me heal. As always I am thankful for my Jay Robb's Whey protein powder that I mix with skim milk that help me get in protein. I had to lay back on cheese and yogurts since I felt that these foods were adding to the constipation along with the pain meds. I just felt full all the time and food did not appeal to me. I am wearing two binders. One on the lower abdomen and one higher up below my breasts and these feel fabulous...totally. I will have to wear these for a least 6 weeks and that is fine with me. Today I have on regular clothes and they can accommodate the binders and the two drains. I am swollen around my waist, but below my belly button I have a FLAT, yes flat area and can see my public area for the first time WITHOUT lifting my formerly huge panni that has been with me for over 22 years. The relief of this skin being gone is hard to explain....yes I am in surgical discomfort.....but the weight and pulling of this skin has always hurt and caused me rashes, ulcers, and such a smell. After I lost the 146 lbs these last 22 months the panni became bigger and more painful...oh the pressure on my back. The PS was going to do lipo on either side of my body so they could pull the skin tighter, but they found NO fat to remove so the lipo was not needed. Leah explained that when they were ready to close me up, they lifted me into a semi sitting position and had help bringing the skin together. My gastric bypass surgeon even stayed to watch what Leah and Dr. Brook were doing with me. They said they removed 10 lbs of skin. The pressure and pain in my neck, shoulders, arms, and hands is GONE. I had begun to lose feeling in both my hands...thumbs and index fingers these past months. I have always worn good bras with excellent support around my upper back, but my 48 DD's were huge, HEAVY, and exerted such pressure on my neck and shoulders with deep grooves from the bra straps. As I lost weight the breasts became heavier somehow, the fat that let them rest on my body was no longer there and they just hurt more and more. The numbness in my left hand is already going away and I am so thrilled. My surgery was approved and covered by my ChampVA insurance. I am very thankful for that. I was apprehensive about the surgery, worried about the procedures and the post op pain. DO NOT let that fear stop someone who is thinking about these kinds of surgery. I did not do this for cosmetics, but for pain and functions relief. I am happy Monica......330/186/16? Maybe Healthier, happier, sexier, and so thankful.
MLONG
on 10/2/06 9:12 pm - Wales , MA
Hey my long lost friend email me and lets catch up Missing you Boo
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs