disappointed......unhappy...sad....depressed

debbie3855
on 9/15/06 7:35 am - Havehill, MA
I am almost 2 years out and haven't even lost as much weight as most people. Has anyone ever gone back to their surgeon and asked to have this all done again? or am i just the one in a thousand that the surgery fails on. I am so unhappy i hate myself. help!!!!
Lynn C
on 9/15/06 8:25 am
Debbie - how much have you lost? What was your starting weight? Before you think about having surgery again you need to find out: 1 - are you just being hard on youself - we are not all going to lose all of our weight and be a size 2 2 - why have you stopped losing? Are you eating like you should be? Small portions of the right foods, water, vitamins etc.... If your answer to #1 is no and #2 is yes then you need to have some testing done to find out if you have a malfunction (streched stoma, ruptured staple line, etc.) that have caused your poor results. At this time a revision may be something to look into. If you answered honestly to #2 and your answer is no then you may want to see a nutrionist and get back on track. The best thing to do would be to contact your surgeon and find out whats up - it may be a failed surgery that is disappointing you or expectations that are to high - either way your surgeon will have the best advise. I hope that you find what you need. Good luck, Lynn Banded 9/12/05 300/208/140
Bariatric Bella
on 9/22/06 3:13 am - Dayton, OH
RNY on 11/02/05 with
Actually it is very dangerous to have it done again but there are people that have it done . It is called a revision. Also how much weight have you lost. to lose 70 percent of your excess weight at the time of surgery is considered a success. Also talk to your surgeon some people have there proximal revised to a distal. just know to get it done again it has a much high risk than the first time. Amy
emme819
on 9/24/06 1:56 pm - Worcester, MA
Please don't hate yourself. I did not lose as much as I had hoped either, despite keeping track of everything I ate and exercising my ass off 5-6 times a week for a year. No one has been able to figure out why I didn't lose more, but such is life. I'm 18 months out now, and I'm still 25lbs from my personal goal, and 30lbs away from a normal BMI. My experience with this surgery was radically different from that of anyone else I've ever heard of. For example, I lost 60lbs in my first 10 weeks and then hit a plateau that lasted for 4 entire months. So, for my first magic 6 months, I did not lost a pound for 2/3 of the time. I got extremely depressed about that, let me tell you. All I can say is that we are ALL so different in how our bodies respond to this surgery. If you are eating as you should be, and getting in some exercising, then you are doing as you should be. If you are not keeping track of what you are eating, you might want to do that again for a week or so and be totally honest about it. It may be that you are actually eating a bit more than you think. I know that happened to me a couple of months ago. I was actually eating closer to 1150 calories a day instead of the 1000 I was aiming for. Not that it made any difference in my weight, but it was just a good wake up call that I need to be vigilant. Have you spoken to your surgeon? Or called the nutritionist or a psychologist from your program? Maybe just checking in with someone will make you feel better about how you've done, or maybe give you a tip on getting the loss moving again. As for me, I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'm not going to lose another pound. AFter my 4 month plateau, I managed to get off another 25lbs, but they were a LOT of work to get off. I have not lost a pound now since just after Christmas. It's just what it is for me. I even just had my tummy tuck. Didn't lose any weight from that either. I wish you the best of luck. Please feel free to email me directly if you like. I'm happy to help any way I can. Mary Ellen
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views