I Need Help

skinnycat
on 9/4/06 5:24 am - Peabody, MA
Hi, I have been post op now for a little over 4 months. I have lost 30 lbs since my lap band surgery. How can I stay away from emotional eating. With the lap band you don't have a problem eating sweets. When I get upset or stressed out that is when I turn to sweets. I can't help myself. I wish there was a WLS support group in my area. I live in Peabody, MA. Any feedback would be appreciated. I am beside myself. Donna
KrissyJ
on 9/5/06 10:16 am - Pepperell, MA
Hi Donna, I have not yet had surgery. I can however hear you loud and clear with that issue. The only thing I can think of to say is, think of why you had the surgery. It is soooo hard not to eat emotionally. If it makes you feel any better I am going to have the same issues. I just think of how drastic having surgery is, so, it is not worth giving in to the sweets. Krissy
skinnycat
on 9/6/06 1:06 am - Peabody, MA
Hi Krissy, I hope I did not scare you. Are you having the lap band? Less evasive than the bypass. That is what I had. I was warned before surgery by my nutritionist that because I am a snacker and sweet lover that the lap band does not reject it. The bypass does. If you have sugar you will get sick. I am thinking of going to a therapist for this problem with I have done way before the surgery. I know it happens when I am stressed or upset. I have to find a way to ignore that. Thanks for writing and good luck to you. Donna
Jeana W.
on 9/5/06 12:01 pm - Cambridge, MA
I was told by the phsycologist at the MGH Weight Center that if you are an emotional eater you should maybe seek therapy so you can find other ways to deal with your emotions. Hope this helps :-)
skinnycat
on 9/6/06 1:09 am - Peabody, MA
Hi Jeana, Thanks for responding. Although I already know why I eat when I am emotional, I might seek that kind of help again. I have been that route way before the surgery. Thanks again. Donna
Jeana W.
on 9/6/06 2:31 pm - Cambridge, MA
Donna, I wish you the best of luck. I think you'll get through this because you know that you're having a problem and are trying to address it. Alot of people don't realize why they revert back to their old ways. Let us know how you do. Jeana
DianeC
on 9/6/06 12:40 am - South Eastern, NH
Hi Donna, There is a WLS support group meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 12 in Winchester, MA. That's fairly close to Peabody... If you'd like further information, reply to this post, and I'll get it to you. I find that the support group meetings help me tremendously. Diane
skinnycat
on 9/6/06 1:00 am - Peabody, MA
Hi Diane, Where is it in Winchester? Give me the number and street and I will do a map on yahoo. Thanks for responding to this message. I wish there was one closer to Peabody. Can you also give me a contact name and number? Thanks Again, Donna
DianeC
on 9/6/06 1:26 am - South Eastern, NH
Hi Donna, The support group is at the Jenks Senior Center, 109 Skilling Road. Winchester, MA 01890 from 7-9pm. Dr. Ameri's office runs it, this month is for post-op patients, they alternate months for pre-op and post-op, but all are welcome. Dr. Ameri's office # 781-662-2288 and Denise is the contact person for information. Thanks, Diane
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views