Looking for advice from those who have gone before

HarmonyRose88
on 8/27/06 9:52 pm - Wadesville, IN
Hello all, I am not from your state, but I have decided to do even more asking around while I am on the road to having surgery. My insurance requires 6 months of monitored tests, counseling, etc, and that will be completed in October. I need to lose just about 100 pounds. I am 61 years old, and like so many others, have fought the weight wars for most of my life. On two occasions I was more or less the correct size, but regained it all over a few years, and now I seem to add a few more every winter. So considering my age, I think it is "now or never". I am mostly positive about this decision, and it really helps to read all the profiles. I know that it is lots easier for some than for others, and all experiences are different. I have yet to actually talk to anyone who says they would not do it, if they had it all to do over again, but it is hard for me to understand how this cannot be depressing sometimes, in many ways. Most people say that food never has as much importance in their lives as it used to. Basically, I would just like to ask a few things: First of all, I have a few dental issues, and have limited chewing ability. I was wondering if anyone had this problem, and how they handled it. And, of course, I am wanting to know if it ever seems like a life sentence of never enjoying food again. I am fairly scared of the surgery itself, because I have never had any other procedure of any kind. Also, my day "job" is babysitting my 6 month old granddaughter. I was wondering how long it was before you could care for an infant or younger children, as far as lifting, etc. And any other comments, tips, or whatever would be greatly appreciated. Please do not hesitate to tell me the worst, as well as the best. Thanks in advance!
ellie72
on 8/28/06 5:22 am - hull, MA
I have been very fortunate. I did not have any major problems. I have dumped only a handful of times. I had my surgery a year ago. As far as food goes, you can still enjoy food, you will have a lot less food. I know that a lot of social things revolve around food. You just learn to not make food the main thing anymore. As far as lifting, My surgeon had said nothing more than 10 lbs for the 1st 6 weeks. But check with your surgeon they might think differently. I do not have children so did not have to worry about that aspect. Good luck!
Kim S.
on 8/29/06 11:38 pm - North of Boston, MA
One of the benefits of the lapband surgery is that I can still eat pretty much anything but in much smaller quantities. Can't speak for the RNY but chewing could be a problem as the goal is to get about 3 oz of solid protein with your meals. Can you chew fish? That might work if chicken/steak is too tough. Most bandsters don't tolerate rice, doughy bread or pasta once they start getting restriction (those aren't great calorie choices anyway). There is a regrets board here on OH if you want to hear from people who have had issues. I don't regret the band at all. I don't feel deprived, I do feel full and I'm slowly losing weight. My next big goal is to be a lot more consistent with my exercise (always my problem!) It's never too late to take charge of your health - good luck! Kim 316/273/155
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views