friends w/ negative attitudes towards the surgery

debro28
on 8/25/06 6:31 am - Chelsea, MA
Hello girls or guys, I had my RY gast.bypass early this month. my family and friends are very supportive. I do have about 2 friends ( ?? ) who are really beating me down for having done something so drastic & really not helping by telling me things like ( you come from a spanish background and you are NOT going to be able to eat rice and beans that are you favorite ) it hurts my feelings b/c I know what I might have to give up and I had the surgery b/c of my health. are guys out there having similar issues? thanks for any input. Debra
txbunny930
on 8/25/06 6:48 am - MA
Understand that no one can make everyone happy about decisions that are made. You just have to do what is right for your health. You've done all the educating regarding what you can and cannot eat. You'll be able to eat beans, they are very high in protein. Rice, now that's another story. It's not that you'll never be able to eat rice, it's that rice is not a wise choice to have in the long term. The further you are out after surgery, the more foods you'll be able to eat. That's when trouble can start and regain can happen. So for those friends that are not supporting your decision, tell them that you are making healthier choices in your life and that the WLS was the tool to give you the kick start you needed. Good luck and congrats on your surgery.
YVETTE A.
on 8/26/06 2:35 am - SPRINGFIELD, MA
Hi! Debra don't keep that things hurtind you. Just focus yourself in your goal. Don't woory with small things. Look foward in when your changes are going to give the more biggest satisfaction. I'm hispanic, too. I can tell you that always the people will say something to take you out your track , so Baby don't let that bother you. God bless you. Any thing lets keep in touch . Wishing you the best ,
Janetteonmyway
on 9/1/06 2:10 am
Hi Yvette, I have been contemplating surgery for quite a while (2001)and finally feel that I am ready to do it. I saw your proile and picture and felt so encouraged with my decision to go for it. So many of my friends and family think that I am crazy which is why I didnt go forward with it back in 2001. I just made the decision to do this and will be calling the dr. momentarily. How long did you have to wait from the time you started the process to actually having the surgery? Any info you can give me would be appreciated. You look fabulous ! Congratulations on your success! Janette
SteffieBear15
on 8/29/06 11:37 am - Medford, MA
Revision on 10/29/12
Hi Debra, I just wnated to wish you well. Most often there are 2 things at the root of those kind of comments.....fear ( as in this person loves you so much they couldn't imagine life without you around if some oddball complication happens) or they are jealous. You should b proud that you took a stand for your health. There is no reason why you couldn't eventually eat rice and beans again in small quatitites. It may be quite a while before you can tolerate them but it is not an automitic non no forever. Best wishes to you...just let those hurtful comments make you stronger and remember that you did what was best for you!!!! Take care, Hun! Hugs, Stef
donnafc
on 8/31/06 5:00 am - Lowell, MA
1st off congratulations on you hard decision. It is going to be tough but you will be fine. You will find as you loose weight some people will not be as supportive as you had hoped, don't let that get to you. If you think things are hard with them now, just wait until you are thinner than they are..... wow does that turn some people mean.....but you can be the better person, just smile because you will know how much healthier you are. As far as beans go, I know that a lot of people eat them for protein- many people enjoy chile etc. Rice is another story. I am 11 months out and will on occasion enjoy a few bites- we had mexican the other day and I just couldn't pass it up. I have also had it with thai food- though I try not to have stuff that is to spicy. Good luck and keep smiling donna
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views