WHAT AN EYE OPENER!!!

stephanie1977
on 8/24/06 9:05 pm - Roxbury, MA
Hello Massachusetts family, Well, I went to Dr. Randall's monthly support meeting last night and I just have to comment on what incredible information we shared. We had a great mix of people anywhere from 2 weeks out to 6 year out of surgery. The people who were further out had some very interesting stories to share with us "honeymooners". (post-op to 18 months out was referred to as being on your honeymoon). One lady was gracious enough to share that she had her surgery done 6 years ago not by Dr Randall but she took off 150 lbs. It is 6 years later and she has put it all back on and now is trying to see Dr. Randall for a revision. Another lady is 5 years out, put most of her weight back, again surgery not done by Dr. Randall. She applied for a revision and was DENIED! Dr. Randall has told us countless times how very difficult it is to get insurance companies to pay for the same thing twice. My head was spinning after these and a few others shared with us that they eat regular size portions, eat sugar, I mean brownies, oreo cookies, tootsie rolls,and sub sandwiches were some of the things that were mentioned that these people consumed. I can only say that brownies, oreos, subs, ect is what ended me up in Dr. Randall's office to begin with. I am scared to death to even buy something that has more than 3 or 4 grams of sugar in it. I have to commend these brave souls for telling us how it is in the real world. Maybe I am on my honeymoon, but the way I feel now is so far and above how I used to feel, that I want to share this feeling with everyone I know. And people I don't to tell you the truth. I even told the lady that was doing my nails what I had done and even showed her my pictures. I am so excited and proud and happy that sometimes, I get really emotional about it. I keep Dr. Randall's "Triangle of success" with me everyday. I drink my water, eat my food, and do my excercise. I am grounded and focused on my goal and I pray that in 4 or 5 years I am not trying to get a revision or back in that dark place I called a life. That was not living--This is living. I also hope that the people that fell away, can come back to the realization that this surgery, who ever did it, is a tool and it is all how you approach the food and your life that determines how you will do. Thanks for reading and letting me vent. Stephanie
txbunny930
on 8/25/06 12:34 am - MA
Hi Stephanie: I too was at that meeting and, as a pre op, it was an eye opener as well. Anyone even considering WLS has to know that this is a tool to assist them to becoming healthy and it's up to US to work at keeping it off. The tool will continue to work for us but testing it with items that got us to where we are now, is something I cannot even begin to wonder why someone would want to test the tool that way. After countless failed diets and now fighting with my insurance company to get approval, I am making sure that it is clear in my head what I'm fighting for. Those that shared their stories last night show that WLS is NOT the easy way out to lose weight. That once this weight comes off, we have to use the tool give to maintain. The triangle of success is what will keep everything in check and it will keep us healthy. For whatever reasons we've gained this weight, those habits need to be dealt with before having WLS or you only bring them with you. I do know that the support we can each give to one another is fantastic and helps motivate us to succeed. I know once I'm on the losing side I have the best support team going for me. Stephanie, Terry, Doug and many on OH. Not to mention Erika and Dr. Randall. I do want to say I was shocked about the amounts of food that people were able to eat after many years out from having WLS. Now that scares me and it should share others too. People, be good to your tool. Do what it takes to make your tool work for you and stay healthy. If you have gotten off track, come and get the support you need. I'm so blessed with those I've encountered since I started educating myself and deciding to have WLS. Also, I want to thank those that shared their stories last night. Powerful stuff and alot to ponder. Thank you Stephanie for posting this. Wow, you need to really be proud of yourself, even if you are still in the honeymoon stage, that your head and heart are in this for life. Hugs, Lorraine
RITA32
on 8/25/06 1:41 am - Stoneham, MA
Good Morning Stephanie, So sorry I missed last night's meeting...sounds like a good one, a real dose of reality!!! It is really scarey to know that anyone of us can revert back to where we were. However I believe there are ways to avoid this and head off total regain...Awareness that this can happen, fast response to when it starts, support individually and in a group and of course Dr. Randall and his staff. In the beginning it is almost impossible to stray from the requirements...your pouch has command, those large amounts of pounds melting away, the new found compliments, well wishes and the ability to "do" things are all wonderful motivators, but we must use this time to develop better eating choices and deal with those head demons that helped us become obese...and just because you can eat larger amount of food or make bad choices doesn't mean you have to..everyone will make a bad choice or eat more than you should occasionally, just don't let that be the norm. Then it becomes back to old habits. Unfortunately this is probally something we will have to deal with forever...no magic potions, just the desire to be successful. Not fair but what is? I can only hope and pray that each of us continues to be successful in battling the demons and find the path that is right for us. Hope to see ya next month
rockinred
on 8/25/06 2:20 am - Boston, MA
I am still pre-op as well, but with NEMC. What's drilled into our heads is how successful NEMC patients (or any WLS patients who are in a structured program) are with maintaining weight loss IF THEY CONTINUE REGULAR POST-OP CARE!!! It's repeated & repeated & repeated. The surgeons keep reiterating that the program can help you, but the options are extremely limited if you have the surgery, leave the program, gain back a substantial amount of weight and THEN want help. I keep thinking about it like any other addiction. Successful addicts in recovery continue their work & attend group meetings forever...not just until they finish their initial detox/recovery program. It's a life commitment, just like the commitment to having the surgery and changing your life & health.
Holliewheeler
on 9/10/06 12:27 am - leominster, MA
HI, I'm going to Dr. Randalls sept an oct support meetings, I have an appointment friday to see the phych. an my NUT appointment in oct an then i see Dr. Randall on nov 7th for are first meeting. So, I hope all goes well.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views