which one should i choose??? the band or bypass???

KrissyJ
on 8/19/06 6:01 am - Pepperell, MA
I am getting close to completing all of my pre-op appointments...I am suddenly having a bit of anxiety over which to choose, the band or bypass. My original choice was the band. Can anyone give some advice?
Lynn C
on 8/19/06 10:27 am
Congrats on getting to this point - the surgery that you choose is such a personal decision that no one but you can pick. For me the Band was the only choice - I am thrilled with it and this first year has been wonderful. I am down 92 lbs and have not had a single problem. I eat everything I did before (except for bread) just smaller amounts. I am truely pleased with my choice. Here is a side by side comparison of the two procedures - You just need to decide which factors are more important to you because in the long run the weight loss equals the same on average for both. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/cmsID,8407/mode,content/a,cms/ Good luck, Lynn Banded 9/12/05 300/208/140
jereyes
on 8/19/06 10:51 pm - Tyngsboro, MA
It is a personal choice that you need to decide for yourself. I chose the open RNY mostly because there seemed to have the least complications with the best results. Also the surgeon I chose only did the open RNY. I had no complications from surgery or from recovering. My recovery time was longer about six weeks before I could go back to work, but that depends on your profession. I know some people went back to a desk job as soon as 2 1/2- 3 weeks. I am able to eat just about anything that satisfies me. I am sure that your surgeon might agree with one more that the other if you ask. I just have heard people speaking about the inconvience of having their fills for the lapband. Keep on researching and you will decide which appraoch will be best for you. Good Luck!
JLR12679
on 8/20/06 2:23 am - Sudbury, MA
I agree that its a personal choice and you have to choose for your self. I am doing Lap RNY gastric bypass. for me I have been overweight for the majority of my life. My doctor will not perform the band surgery. I have heard that the band is reversable but they also say that they have done alot of removal of the band when they do the actual bypass. I would maybe go to the Newton Wellsley new patient meeting, you do not need an appt and you dont need the referal, they hold it the last thursday of every month at 630 pm. If you ask questions about the band they will tell you their opinion on it and why they dont preform the band. This may help you with your decision. Good luck.
honeymoo
on 8/20/06 7:14 am - on The Rock 30 miles out to Sea, MA
I agree w/ Jessica and the others it's a personal choice. Jessica and I are going through the same group although different Doctors, mine only does open plus he is retiring at the end of the month but I will be following up w/ either Jessica's Doctor or there is one more Dr in the group. I suggest going to informational meetings on both, one like the Newton Wellesley that doesn't do the band and another one that does. I am a sugaraholic and having the band would still allow me to eat sugar w/ no drawbacks but w/ RNY I will most likely not be able to eat it. I do not even want to know if I dump on sugar or not because w/ my luck I wouldn't. Whatever you choose good luck and we're here if you have any questions Gwen
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views