Getting things started...

Marthajean
on 7/25/06 3:32 pm - Pocasset, MA
Hi all, I am a new member and from Cape Cod. I do have an appointment with a surgeon in Boston (Dr. Lautz) in September. I also attended some info sessions. Now I am just not sure what to get together as far as contacting my primary, what to do if she disagrees with my decsions, etc. I have called the insurance company (tricare) and am trying to get all my ducks in a row (never thought I would have reason to use that expression) If any one has advice, suggestions etc., please feel free to enlighten poor not so little newbie me...Thanks
ellie72
on 7/26/06 2:00 am - hull, MA
Hi Martha, I had my surgery with Dr Lautz last August! I have had a wonderful experience. Do you need a referral from your primary for the appointment? My primary care office suggested the surgery to me. Your Dr. might surprise you, call and talk to them! What other requirements does your insurance have? I have Tufts Health plan and I know they can all require different things! Good for you for taking the first step. I know it is scary!
Marthajean
on 7/26/06 12:33 pm - Pocasset, MA
Hi Eleanor, Thank you so much for your sweet and helpful reply. My insurance doesn't have the six month requirement to attend supervised meetings (such as the support groups, etc), but I would like to do that anyway...I am hopeful to find a group in the Cape Cod area (and actually saw a post about one) in the event that I can't always attend the ones at Brigham and Womens because of my work schedule. I also recently read some sad postings on the memorial board, especially regarding Jessica O., and I think that has stuck in my mind. As a nurse I know there are of course potential complications...You may be acquainted with a friend of mine, who also had her surgery sometime last year with doctor Lautz...Thank you again for your helpful advice and comments...Martha
ellie72
on 7/27/06 10:25 am - hull, MA
Hi Martha, That's great, I didn't have the 6 month wait either. The commute is tough but definitely worth it. Support group meetings are great to go to. I also saw the post about one down the Cape! I tried not to get to upset by reading the sad stories. It is hard, but I figured that I needed to have the surgery to get myself healthier! And once I made the decision it was weird, but I just figured nothing would go wrong, I guess maybe I just wouldn't let myself think it! i think you will be happy with your decision! Eleanor
April R.
on 8/3/06 10:35 am - plymouth, MA
There is a Cape Cod support group.. some members have even had Dr. Lautz in our group. We meet on the second thursday of every month at Cape Cod Hospital.. from 7:30PM-9:00PM in the Martins Meeting room on the Second Floor here is the link to the email list if you are interested.. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OSSG-CapeCod
Carrie N.
on 7/27/06 9:42 am - Pigeon Forge, TN
I had my surgery last August with Dr. Lautz. I did not require a referral from my primary care physician, but I cannot understand why any doctor who cares about you would deny such a request. I had my appointment with Dr. Lautz, and got a surgery date that day. I just had to have a routine blood draw and meet with a NP about a week before surgery. Very smooth process. You can go to your primary care doctor and have tests done and bring results with you to Dr. Lautz. That is what I did to minimize the number of trips to Boston I would have to make. I asked my PCP to order a complete blood panel and gall bladder ultrasound and brought the results to Dr Lautz, who is GREAT, by the way. I am so happy I did this. I know surgery is scary, but I also know Dr. Lautz has a great track record, so try not to worry too much. And best of luck! Carrie
bethinboston
on 7/28/06 1:55 am - Salem, MA
I had the same fear about asking my PCP, so I just started the process (going with Dr. Sandor from Commonwealth Surgical Associates) and then I told my doctor...and he shocked me, he thinks it's a great idea! He referred me to Dr. Randall out of Lawrence Memorial, but he doesn't have any openings for a while...but I did find a great support group for Lap-banders...good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views