2 weeks post op today!

judy S.
on 7/24/06 5:05 pm - gloucester, MA
Hi everyone- it was a tough first 2 weeks but I am back to almost normal now! I had a couple of complications- they found a gumball sized tumor (benign) near my stomach and they had to take it out and resect the portion of the upper intestine, and I had some bleeding and needed 2 transfusions, and earned a night in ICU that I do not recall. I ended up in the hospital for 4 nights. Doing great now though, I still have to take naps during the day. I made a great discovery - I was really missing morning coffee terribly. I had received a sample from the doctor's office of Pro Cel 8 for 8 coffee drink. It has columbian decaf and 8 grams of protein (unsweetened) and it's great. It's sold by Global Health and it is so new it isn't on their web site yet but you can call and order it. I feel normal in the morning now! My sister is panicking because she was the thinner one and now that may change. It's funny because I never really thought of us in comparison like that before. She isn't happy for me. But my friends have been great. Sometimes the people who love you don't want the best things for you, for their own reasons. I am so grateful for the people on this board and the support I've received. I would never have done it without you. Joy to everyone! Judy
Trish S.
on 7/24/06 7:51 pm - Plymouth, MA
Hi Judy, I'm less than a month away from my surgery (Aug. 22nd) and so appreciate hearing from someone who had a complication, but is fine within 2 weeks time. That's what I need to get me head around. I may have something go wrong, but within a short time, it will all be worth it. I want to go into this thinking and hoping for the best, but also want to realize that something may not go the way I'd planned. Also, I can relate to your relationship with your sister. I wasn't born with a sister, but have had a sister/best friend since I was 4 years old. She also is not happy for me and has made no effort to understand anything regarding the surgery, except for the negative (mostly what she learned from the horror stories of surgeries 20 years ago). So I go on with our relationship, trying not to speak of my up coming surgery - staying positive, and pretend that her lack of support doesn't hurt like hell (but it does). I refuse to give in to her negative thoughts. I forgot to mention, she probably need the wls more than I - but that's her issue, not mine. I love her like a sister and miss having her support at this exciting/scarry time in my life. My friends, family and co-workers are so supportive, I consider myself lucky - and the people on this board give me courage and hope for a healty future. All the best to you, Trish S.
ellie72
on 7/25/06 12:56 am - hull, MA
Much like you ladies, my sister was the least supportive of my decision. People said to me she is scared that something would happen to me. And I told them, that is her issue. Staying overweight would be worse for me. Now I think that she is afraid of people asking her if she will have surgery! I was always the heavier sister. And one of my friends said to me "I think she thinks being overweight is OK as long as she is smaller than you." I don't pu**** with her. She eats a little better since I have lost so much weight. But she could use to lose over 100 lbs as well. My friends were wonderful for support and horrified that she was being so negative. But no matter what people said I had to make the decision for me! As for my sister, she is much better now. She doesn't really ask about looking into the surgery for herself. And we don't really talk about it much. She does still try to look at some of the negatives. I think she is happy when I get sick from eating something LOL. But no on one can argue that I am much healthier now! I had my surgery August 23, 2005, my follow up last Thursday had my official weight loss at 168 lbs! I still can't believe it!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views