What to Bring??

lilirishgrl71
on 7/17/06 9:43 am - West Springfield, MA
I have just one more week to wait for my surgery so I'm getting everything in order. I'm curious as to what others have put in their hospital bag. What do you all recommend I bring for my 3 day visit to the happy place??? Lol. I'm sure I'm going to be bored at some point... I don't generally sit in one place for too long, and this being in the hospital for 3 days is going to make me loopy. Did anyone else experience that or was it all just so full of walking, sipping and pain meds that you didn't even think about it? Any advice/opinions would be apreciated! Thanks, Mary
~ Stylz ~
on 7/17/06 10:37 am - North of Boston, MA
Mary I didn't bring things to read because I knew I'd be walking so much and thats how it was. I did bring my own pillow because I knew I'd be more comfortable with it and was happy I brought it! Other things I brought were my own toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, ponytail holders, slippers and a robe. Good luck with surgery, be sure to post your progress
goldroses
on 7/17/06 10:41 pm - S. Weymouth, MA
Mary, Slippers, robe, and hairbrush/comb, lotion & chapstick are good ideas. Don't bring any valuables ie: ipods, walkman, laptops, jewelery, money. If these items are stolen or broken the hospital will not be responsible for them. Also you don't have lots of storage space so pack lightly. Don't wear your own nightgowns, they can get soiled, ruined or cut by the medical staff. I had people bring me magazines but I never looked at them, the morphine kept me occupied, and I had to walk too. I was alot more tired than I thought I would be. I had lap gallbladder surgery 3 years before and I felt great right away and I thought it would be the same this time too. I was beat!!! Wear loose fitting/elastic waist pants and a large shirt and slip on shoes, it will make dressing to come home so much easier. Good Luck Amy
tleach52
on 7/19/06 3:39 am - Pembroke, MA
I had my surgery last Monday.... My suggestions Pack lightly...... chap stick , brush (barette or elastic bands for long hair) and deodrant and toothbrush & toothpaste are essential. Use the hospital gowns and with the hassel of IV's and _ I would leave the robe at home and use another hospital gown as a robe because in most cases you will be there hooked up to IVs and the stay is too short to bother packing it. slip on slippers is nice - but hospitals give you those slipper socks. I think the worse part of the hospital stay was the barium swallow for leaks study the day after. Nasty nasty stuff. With the pain hookup ...was very woozy - but comfy. I would really suggest to pack a very loose dress or very loose pants - with the lap (gas / air inserted) and Ivs you will be very bloated ..( I went home 15 lbs heavier!!!!!) and the incision(s) site - you wont want to wear something constricting on touching those areas. Good luck on your adventure to a healthier weight. Marleen
lilirishgrl71
on 7/19/06 4:54 am - West Springfield, MA
Thanks so much ladies! I just want to be sure I have all that I'll need so that my husband isn't running around like a mad man looking for the things I need while I'm there! I can't wait to have this surgery... I feel like each day is going so slow!!!! Just 5 more days!!!! Thanks again! Hugs, Mary
hyperskyper
on 7/19/06 8:54 am - Marlborough, MA
Mary, hi, just wanted to wish you all the good luck in the world. My name is Raluca, and I had my surgery on March 27th of this year - I can safely say it was the day I was reborn. Have lost about 60 lbs so far, and doing fantastic. I had no complications, and everything went as smoothly as it could have. The day after surgery (I had the lap) the barium swallow was yucky and nasty, but what a relief it was afterwards to be able to munch on some crushed ice chips, soooooo yummy!!!! What I would definitely NOT FORGET to bring to the hospital, besides toiletries, is a big soft pillow, it will make the ride home less bumpy and much more pleasant. Also, remind your hubby (or whoever is taking you home) not to bounce you too much while driving. Again, I wish you all the luck in the world, may the force be with you ......! Ralu
lilirishgrl71
on 7/20/06 7:30 am - West Springfield, MA
That's a great idea! I'm going to bring two pillows from home... I sleep better with my own pillows anyway. Thanks so much for the tips... I think I am very well prepared now!!! Hugs, Mary
Billie F.
on 7/22/06 2:04 pm - Springfield, MA
I havent been givin a date yet but was curious! I wanna be READY!! Now i have a nice list. THANKS. lol. Good luck mary!! I will keep ya in my thoughts.
Carrie N.
on 7/20/06 11:19 am - Pigeon Forge, TN
Mary, I didn't bring anything at all, just the clothes on my back, which I wore back home. I put them on a couple hours post-op and was walking all around the hospital, outside and up and down the streets. I was so bored I had cabin fever, but definitely could not have say in that bed and done anything. In fact, I was out of my room so much, the nurses started leaving me notes because they could never find me. The time will go by fast and you'll be back home, nice and comfy. Good luck!
sandisoh
on 7/21/06 10:55 pm - WHITINSVILLE, MA
Hi Mary, well i can tell ya. I had my surgery monday july 17th. bring: comfy nightgown (if you want, but they have BIG Johnny's now!) Calling card (local is okay, but a couple of towns away you will need a card.) Deodorant. Backscratcher Hair clip/ties/BRUSH Fem. PADS (I didn't read or listen to music I just hitting my Morphine button ) they gave me: toothbrush, paste, lotion, the slipper socks, tv was free at UMASS MEmorial. Nurses were great and all the while I was there of COURSE I had my period. Best of luck. sandi
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views