Coffee

coffeegirl
on 7/6/06 4:54 am - somewhere, MA
I am in the research, waiting for appointment phase. I am so addicted to coffee. What is the chance I will never have it again or maybe i will, any info would be greatly appreciated.
lostinmyhead
on 7/6/06 8:21 am - Franklin, NH
I am not a big coffee drinker but I am 2 months post and I had a iced coffee xx (small) the other day and it was great no problems. My mother is 1 1/2 year post and has coffee every morning. I will say it's up to your own body though if it wants coffee any more Mike
Carrie N.
on 7/6/06 8:25 pm - Pigeon Forge, TN
I drink coffee every single day. I did not feel like it at all for a week or so post-op, which really surprised me, then, suddenly, I got my taste for it back. I drink 3 XL Dunkin' Donuts coffees every day (7 am, 12 non, 4 pm) and about 6 more cups I make at home. No problems at all.
Joyce S.
on 7/6/06 10:58 pm - Dennis, MA
HI Linda C., We drink coffee every morning - BUT we switched to decaf about 6 weeks before surgery - the reason is because caffeine makes you dehydrate & that's the last thing we need ! We did find that coffee is a bit harsh on our pouches - we drink lots and lots of tea now - hot and cold... Once we got "used " to being without caffeine we were fine and don't seem to notice any differences ....unless we go somewhere and decaf isn't available etc we'll drink regular and ohhhhh boy do we notice it then.... lol Joyce S. @ 8 months post op today - down 105 lbs.
coffeegirl
on 7/6/06 11:20 pm - somewhere, MA
THANK YOU!@!!!! I wa so very afraid I would never be able to drink it again
~ Stylz ~
on 7/8/06 8:05 am - North of Boston, MA
we were always told never to have coffee again because it dehydrates you so they told us to switch to decaf. well...... when I was 2 months out, lacking from the new found energy everyone would talk about I started drinking one a week. I told the nutritionsit and she was fine with it. She said because coffee dehydrates you, make sure everytime you have a cup of coffee, have 2 cups of water.. I have a friend who had surgery with a different surgeon in a different state and she said if she has regular coffee, 20 minutes later she dumps... shes been given regular coffee a few different times by mistake and everytime has dumped. so i really think it all depends on you personally if you will be able to tollerate caffine or not.. hope this helps..
Bariatric Bella
on 7/9/06 10:07 am - Dayton, OH
RNY on 11/02/05 with
Ok I am a huge coffee drinker. My surgeon advised me to not drink coffee for three months as the pouch is very sensitve and healing from the inflammation of surgery. I also spoke to the nutritionists ans she told me that it is not the coffee that is the issue but the caffeine. Caffeine stimulates the hunger hormone grellen and it can cause ulcers. I have drank Decaf coffee since I was 1 month out with the ok from my surgeon because it was decaf. I actually like decaf better no. Your taste buds change after surgery with some items. I hope this helps I drink about three cups a day and sometimes more. I do drink regular sometimes like when I go to the bar with my husband to play pool, usually small bars only have regular coffee. I drink it but also remind myself to watch out if I am hungry it might just be the caffeine talking. So I watch what I am eating much closer the next few days after having caffeine in large amounts. Amy 390( before surgery) 304/217/180
lilirishgrl71
on 7/17/06 9:40 am - West Springfield, MA
I'm a coffee addict too, but for my 2 week pre-op liquid diet I have not been allowed to drink it. I'm taking on a huge change in my life and if I'm going to do it, I want to do it right. I'm doing fine... definitely had withdrawls, but it's well worth it. The problem with drinking coffee is that it's a diuretic (sp?) and it dehydrates you. It also increases the incidence of ulcers in your newly formed pouch. Not worth the risk for the caffeine high, in my opinion. I know it's hard, but do whatever you can to be healthy after this surgery. If all else fails, bariatric eating has a starbucks type coffee drink that has protein. You may still have to drink extra water to get your caffeine, but at least you'll be getting some much needed post surgery protein!!! Good luck! Mary
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views