Surgery in 2 WEEKS and I DON'T WANT TO GAIN WEIGHT

sandisoh
on 7/2/06 2:07 pm - WHITINSVILLE, MA
Hi everyone! >>>>>>>>>>> I am really asking for help and prayers. TELL me what I should do. My surgery is in exactly 2 weeks. July 17th. I don't want to have gained weight. I need to LOSE weight to make sure that I don't have the doctors saying, "Sorry, you gained 10 lbs!" UGH. Please, everyone, Tell Me what I need to do, to make sure that I am on the RIGHT path for the next two weeks. I have the next 2 days off. I am going to go out walking in the morning and night, and then each night, or every other night before surgery, and after of course. I have almost NOTHING for food, left in my house..... I am trying to just eat up what I have! I always feel like GOOD/GREAT things cannot happen for me, like I will gain weight and have to wait for my surgery or something. It feels TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE to be having my surgery in two weeks and THE only thing I am afraid of is gaining weight. I am taking a couple of laxatives in the next couple of weeks and I have been drinking more water - but I have not been eating well somebody HELP thanks sandi
nurse1
on 7/2/06 2:29 pm - Northbridge, MA
Follow the guidelines of your nutritionist of what you are supposed to be eating and get some healthy food in your house. You've worked hard to get this far why mess up when you are so close. Start getting yourself on track for the changes that are going to be occuring. The staff at Umass the weight center, surgical team, nursing ect are the best. The support group on the 4th Thursday is awesome and a wealth of information. My surgery was 3 months ago today. Good things will come your way. Elaine
sandisoh
on 7/2/06 2:35 pm - WHITINSVILLE, MA
Thanks ELAINE!!! (PS: I live right on Church St. in Whitinsville) ;) sandi
Joeb
on 7/3/06 12:36 pm - Marlborough, MA
Hi Sandi, I was in the same boat you are. A friend told me about a weight losss program they had used so I tried it. I figured that I had to lose weight anyway so why not give it a try. After a few weeks on this program I delayed my surgery. After 3 months I cancled my surgery because the weight loss was going so well. That was 18 months ago and I am down 225 pounds! I would be happy to share it with you if you like, just let me know. Good Luck
Cindy M.
on 7/5/06 4:11 am - Sterling, MA
Sandy, I had my surgery almost 5 months ago. I wasn't weighed the morning that I was admitted. I was weighed at my pre-op testing and I had lost 3 lbs. and nothing was said. I also cleaned out my cabinets about 2 weeks before my surgery. I didn't want to eat up what I had in the house and take the chance of gaining. I donated it to the local food pantry. Good luck, I know that it was the best thing that I ever did and would do it again in a minute. Cindy
Joyce S.
on 7/5/06 7:09 am - Dennis, MA
Hi Sandi, Our dr's program had us on a liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery - hubby and I each lost about 20 lbs in that time... we had 5 Sugar Free Carnation Instant Breakfasts a day, made with fat free milk plus 1 additional tblspn of instant dry milk powder.. we also were allowed S.F. popsicles, broths, S.F. jello, water , decaf coffee & teas, crystal light all in unlimited amounts.... which is also what we were allowed post surgery - for 2 weeks. It's important to get in the nutrients to be able to heal well after surgery, especially the protein. AND start taking your vitamins now too because of the change in the diet - to help ready your body for the trauma that it's going to be going through....The only thing I found during the 2 weeks before was I was hungry a lot but I did not once cheat - the surgery was what I kept focused on. I have your email address _ I'll write more in response to the questions you asked me about when you return home etc... Joyce S.
Carrie N.
on 7/5/06 7:54 am - Pigeon Forge, TN
Hi Joyce, That is too funny. I went to Dr. Lautz, and he seems to arbitrarily decide who should be on pre-op liquid diet. I was told to eat whatever I wanted right up until midnight the night before surgery (and my surgery was at 7 a.m.) and not to worry about my weight on surgery day (in fact, they did not weigh me until after surgery). Talking with the people in the office, it seems like it is some of the "smaller" pre-ops and some of the bigger ones. I can't figure it out. Anyway, I have seen you in his office before your surgery. I think you had gotten married recently and you said to me "Life is good, fat or thin." I always remember that. Good luck to you, Carrie
Emilyj
on 7/5/06 11:13 am - Springfield, MA
I am having my surgery on July 20th. My dr. is having me go on a liquid diet 10 days before. He said Ill lose about 5-6 pounds if I do it the right way. Let me know if you want more details. Congrats!!! Emily
goldroses
on 7/5/06 10:46 pm - S. Weymouth, MA
Call your nutritionist & ask what you should eat. In my program we were told that if we gained before surgery we would be cancelled. I got my surgery sooner because another patient gained and was cancelled, I got her spot. So your right to take this seriously. Why not try low fat& low carbs & no sugars, detox off of soda & caffiene. It wil be a while before you can have coffee again, and withdrawl headaches are horrible. Not a bad idea to get sort of used to not eating carbs & sugar. Good Luck
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views