After the surgery... then what?

LornaDoone
on 5/21/06 1:21 pm - Woburn, MA
Can any of you who have had bypass or lapband please chime in? I never seem to hear about anyone who has trouble after surgery, although there must be some of you who had some issues. 1. What happens when you go out to a restaurant? I am trying to get an idea of how much food you can actually eat, say 3 months later, 6 months, 1 year, etc. 2. Is it true you can never eat steak or hamburger again because of digestion issues? 3. Is chronic diaherrea common after surgery? Someone told me that for some people, food goes right through them after they eat it and this side effect never goes away. 4. Are there any sweet foods that you can ever eat again without getting sick? (like sugar-free jello, pudding, any types of ice cream, etc?) 5. If you start out as 250+ pounds & are not young when you have sugery (like 20s & 30s) does your skin look horrible afterwards? Two people I know who had the surgery lost lots of weight, but their faces looked like they aged 20 years. :( Also, does a lot of your skin shrink or (for women) do you still have loose, flabby skin under your arms, on your belly, etc. Is there anything you can do to prevent this? I heard drinking skim milk helps... but for those of us who cannot afford plastic surgery, any advice? 6. Do any of you after you start losing a noticeable amount of weight still look in the mirror and see a "fat" person? 7. I don't know where men shop, but do any of you women do the happy dance when you no longer have to go to Lane Bryant for size 26/28+ clothes? Woohoo! I can't even imagine what it will be like to go to a regular store and buy something that fits! Thanks for indulging me- you can tell I am trying to work through some of my fears before my first consult. xoxo
Kim S.
on 5/21/06 10:59 pm - North of Boston, MA
Some of the answers to this really depend on which surgery you get and how your individual body reacts. I had the lapband on Dec. 21/05 and am still getting fills towards optimal restriction. My biggest struggle is getting more/enough/any exercise but I am loving my lapband and the trend is consisently (if slowly) downward. However, here are my answers to your questions - if you get lots of answers you'll have a feel for how things are: 1. When I go out to a restaurant, I order off the normal menu. Depending on how I'm feeling that day I get a regular meal and either give the extra to DH or DD (she's 12 but will sometimes split something with me) or I get an appetizer with protein for the table and then have soup/salad for my meal. 2. I've been having steak/hamburger since the initial post-op healing phase. In fact, steak is my meal of choice when I'm at a restaurant because it tends to be "standard" and I can easily carve off the 3-4 oz I want and share or doggy bag the rest. I do have to be careful to take small bites and chew well. 3. I had a little trouble (nothing major or explosive) right after surgery with "liquid in, liquid out" but if anything I struggle with constipation if I am not careful with my water intake and fiber. 4. No food intolerances. As the fills in my band approach the "sweet spot", I am having increasing trouble with doughy breads like bagels and rice but it's probably a good idea to drop them from my diet anyway. 5. Not having major skin issues yet but I had stretch marks from puberty, never mind my pregnancies, so I have no doubt PS is in my future. 6. One of my problems was I look in the mirror and see an "average" person, part of how I got so fat IMHO. 7. To be honest I'm not even sure where to go shopping once I don't fit into Lane Bryant, but it will be fun finding out!!! Good luck and hopefully you'll get a range of responses, Kim 316/306/286/160
Monica B.
on 5/22/06 9:49 am - Emery, SD
I am now 17 months out and I am so loving my new life all made possible with WLS and my determination to be successful. 1. I can eat anything I want and I really focus on making good choices. I started out ordering soups and maybe shrimp or just an appetizer. Now I usually do the same or order something different on the regular menu. Really no problems 2. I began eating beef just 3 weeks post op, home made beef stew really mashed up. I have no issue with beef, but it can not be blackened or burned. I must chew very well and beef and pork have helped me savor the food in my mouth.....I used to shovel in the food so fast, now I eat slowly and really enjoy what I am eating. I think about it. 3. I have had some variations of diarrhea since my gall bladder came out in 1970. After WLS I continue to have diarrhea with some days only once, other days up to 8 runnings to the bathroom. I am used to it. 4. I try to stay away from any sugar! Why have it in my life, that plus bread, big plates, and heaping portions all helped me get to 330 lbs. However I can have some good choices in sugars, less than 10 Gms in any food....like sf pudding, cookies, a taste of cake, an Atkins protein bar....I check for sugar alcohols. I really talk to myself on choices, sometimes have an inner fight. Good or no good can win. Some days I win, and some days I don't. 5. I am 58 yrs old. I have much loose hanging skin. I have seen a PS and will have surgery in October to have my large panni removed and have my hanging large boobs lifted and made smaller. 6. I will always think of myself as morbidly obese women. However when I see myself in a mirror I am amazed at me. I look fabulous, I have a small ass(ME), and people tell me I look wonderful. I sure feel wonderful inside and out. 7. I used to be able to only shop at high end clothing stores. Now I can and do shop at Walmart, Target, and Old Navy. I can buy clothes that do not cost a lot of money. I can even find junior sizes that fit. It is too good to be true. I love shopping now and I must remind myself not to buy a lot as I am slipping through sizes so quickly. Good luck to you, ask many questions, be true to yourself, follow the rules and you can be a success and take back your life. Monica 330/201/16? Age 58, healthier, happier, sexier, and so thankful each day.
whtroses
on 5/22/06 10:16 am - North of Boston, MA
Hi Lorna, I had a Lap RNY 8 months ago. The surgery went fine and after a couple of days I went home. I was home for two days and went back to the hospital. Found out I could not tolerate milk based protein drinks (which most are) and I was trying to be good and drink my Carnation Breakfast drinks to get some nutrients...it was just making it worse. After being on IV for a couple of days and switching to ISOPURE I was fine. I still have problems with milk (never did before surgery). I try milk about once a month to see if I can tolerate it again. I'm doing better with it now (small bowl of cereal w/milk), but it still bothers me a bit. (no problem with cheese or yogurt) 1. I usually order chicken when I go out to a restaurant and can only eat about 1/2. I have a 14 year old son, so he loves to get my leftovers! 2. Everyone is different. I still have problems with red meat. I can tolerate meatloaf mix (hamburg/pork/veal mixture) instead of straight hamburg.n I had a piece or roast beef at a party in March and instantly had diarrhea. This is the only time that happened. 3. Right after surgery I was given liquid colace that you are suppose to take for two weeks. After few days I stopped taking it because I was constantly having diarrhea. After I stopped taking the colace I no longer had a problem except for one time (see #2). 4. Sugar Free popsicles, sugar free/fat free pudding. I've had a bite of dessert a few times and have not had a problem, but I only have a bite. It's enough. 5. I started out at 270 lbs. and I've lost 100 lbs. so far. Not having a lot of skin problems so far. I little bit on the inner thighs, stomach and the arms. I've just started with a gym this week and I'm hopeful that doing some toning exercises will help enough that I will not need surgery. Everyone tells me I look younger! BTW: I recently turned 40. 6. When I look in the mirror now I see the person I always felt I was on the inside. I never felt I was as big as I actually was. 7. I've had to replace my clothing about every 6 weeks. At first it was fun, but after awhile it gets expensive. I've been doing a lot of sale/clearance shopping. FashionBug is a favorite spot. I do find that I have to remind myself to look at smaller sizes though. I hope I've been able to help. Good luck, Cheryl
Claudined
on 5/23/06 3:31 am - Malden, MA
Hi, I had RNY 12 weeks ago. I was expecting all sorts of side effects and it turned out to be nothing. 1. When I eat out I choose something high in protein, or a salad with meat on it. Those meal size salads are good because you get a good portion of protein and you can get your veggies in too. I'll often choose chilli, or a chicken or beef dish that is grilled and doesn't have a high fat sauce on it. Eating out is getting easier, but I prefer not to at this point. 2. I eat steak, meatloaf, havn't tried a hamburger yet. Lots of protein in the red meat. I've heard some people say they can't tolerate it, I have not had a problem yet. I have to eat everything slowly and really chew my food well. 3. No diharrea issues here. I think that is a myth, people who knew someone who knew someone who had the surgery used to tell me I was going to have it after surgery. I had it often before surgery because of my bad food choices...now I am regular. 4. I recently tried no fat frozen yogurt, that is the most dessert like food I have had. I did the sugar free jello right after surgery, and the sugar free rice pudding is good. I have not tried any cake or cookie, and I don't intend to. From what I have learned they will make you sick, so I just stay clear. I don't really miss them. I was really scared before my surgery. It took a lot of thought and self reflection to decide to have this done. I am so glad I did it. I feel great, but more importantly I finally feel in control! I was so out of control with food it was horrible. Now I have complete control over my food choices. During my first consult the doctor told me I would get full faster so I would stop eating. Hmm...I said "I don't stop eating when I'm full now, why will I stop after surgery?" I couldn't beleive that just because I am full I would stop eating...but sure enough, I feel satisfied on a small amount of food and I stop eating. Good luch on your decision. If you listen to your doctor and nutritionist and do what they tell you you will be fine.
goldroses
on 6/6/06 1:56 am - S. Weymouth, MA
HI Lorna, I'm almost 3 years post-op. Ive always ordered off the regular menu, never bothered with the kids menu(most of it is junk). I do better at more expensive restaurants because of smaller portions and I can order ala carte, which means I can have an protein and a veggie, I'm not stuck with potatoes and other stuff I don't want. I've always been able to eat steak and hamburger, just don't overcook any meat or it will make you choke. At first you could always have an appitizer like shrimp ****tail and a small salad for your meal when you eat out. Now at almost 3 years out, people just think I'm a small eater and don't pay much attention to my plate anymore. First time I ate out at about 2 months post op, I ate 3 scallops and the restaurant thought something was wrong and wanted to know if I wanted another dinner. Alot of post-ops are intolerant of certain foods and if you continue to eat them you will have diarrhea, its part of the dumping syndrome. From my own experience, especially if you have a sweet tooth like me, don't start trying sweets and other things like that, it only makes you want more and can really screw up your loss and sabotage your maintenance. SKin issues are different for each person. Unfortunately no food, vitamin or cream will do anything for loose skin with stretch marks, stretch marks are like when the elastic is gone in your bathing suit, it no longer can stretch or bounce back. Only plastic surgery can take care of loose skin. Most insurance don't pay for plastic surgery, so save alot of your money if you think you want it in the future. I want plastics but in a lot of ways I'm not ready. I started at 278lbs and I could have 6inches of skin removed from my stomach. I still see a very fat person when I look in the mirror, I know I don't see me as other people do. I don't know of how I can change this, other people think I'm average size, I no longer am the biggest person in the room. It's so great to shop at a regular store, more choices and less money!!!! THe only complication I had with my surgery was at about 10 months post op, I had an internal hernia and had to have surgery to repair it. Other wise I'm fine. I hope this will help you Amy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 685 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2255 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4443 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4577 views