looking for info

tika0782
on 5/10/06 6:25 pm - Templeton, MA
Hi. I am new and looking for info. I have always been big, but the last two years i have gained more the harder i try to lose it. My bmi is 42 and I was wondering where to start. do i talk to my regular doctor first? i have blue cross blue shirld of ma.. do they cover, i couldnt find any info on website.
chinamomma
on 5/10/06 11:48 pm - Norton, MA
Elizabeth - I think the first thing is to talk to your pcp and research surgeons/ programs in your area. I had BC (HMO) and had no problems with the coverage. I went to MGH for surgery and before I could get into the program or even make an appt, they needed a referral from my pcp in hand - so that is where I would start (in addition to reading as much as you can, talking to others who have had the surgery, etc.) This site has a lot of great info. Good luck! Eileen surgery - 1/3/06 down 80 lbs.
greerdansmom
on 5/11/06 11:28 am - Westford, MA
Hi Elizabeth - Welcome to the board. I have BC/BS and not only did they covered my lap band surgery, but I was approved in 2 days after my case was submitted. I also had a bmi of 42 with type 2 diabetes as a co-morbitiy. I had surgery on January 25th at Emerson Hospital in Concord. It is a relatively new program for them, but with very experienced surgeons. It has been a great experience working with them. Their program is very comprehensive and they have support groups that meet monthly. I decided on the lap band surgey for several reasons - lower risk of death, faster recovery, no dumping, no chance of vitamin deficiencies, band is customized to your body, and no cutting of organs. Feel free to e-mail me if you want more information. Leslie 250/210/140ish
NicoleC
on 5/11/06 2:12 pm - FRANKLIN, MA
Hi Elizabeth. I am awaiting my first consult with a Bariatric Surgeon on the 31st. I talked to my PCP first and made sure she was on board. She gave me the referral but I chose the surgeon and hospital. I chose Dr. Gazmuri at Newton-Wellesley. Good luck on your journey. Nicole
tika0782
on 5/11/06 2:30 pm - Templeton, MA
Thanks to all who emailed me. I am waiting to be tested for sleep apnea in a couple weeks. I already know I have it, I have all the warning signs..lol...my dad has it, as well. He has been on a cpap and helps tremendously. As I may have said, My fiance isn't too thrilled with my interest in WLS. I don't know if he is more afraid of the side effects or the fact that i will be thinner than him?! I have a 2 yr old daughter (I am 24 years old on 5-18) and I want to be able to play with her and not cry when I look in the mirror. It seems after having her I am heavier and much more emotional about it. I have never been this heavy..always heavy..never THIS heavy. What I would like to know from people is whuch did you chose lapband or gastric bypass? and why? I am leaning toward lapband, as it can be removed and I am afraid to have any organs cut..my c-section was enough for me. I am living in Gardner area. anyone close?
issy2you
on 5/12/06 12:16 pm - winthrop, MA
Hi Elizabeth! First off I just want to tell you this site is AWSOME...there are so many helpful people on here...Anyway, I just truned 26 in April and have two little ones....a 6yr old and a 2 yr old...so I know exactly what your talking about when you say you want to be able to play with your daughter...I NEVER thought I'd ever be able to run down the street with my kids.....but here I am doing just that. I had Gastric bypass surg. last June so I'm almost a year post-op. I've lost 149lbs since my surg. I went with the gastric bypass because I was set on having Dr. Sheldon Randall do my surg...and at that time he would not do the banding on anyone with a BMI as high as mine was.....he offered to set me up with another doctor who WOULD do the banding for me but he also explained to me that the band itself has 3 breaking points...and when I heard that it kinda turned me off. I did alot of resarch befor I made my final decision...the recovery with the open RNY is longer and you would need help with your little one but I'm so glad I did what I did.....I've had no regrets. Well, I've gone on long enough.....E-mail me anytime...I'll answer any questions I can for you! Best of luck to you! ~Issy 360/211/???
mira
on 5/16/06 1:29 pm - North, MA
Hi, I had Lap-Band and I am very happy with my choice. I went to Tufts fitst , great program. http://www.obesityconsult.org/index.htm Mira
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views