New here - Need some advice !

Zee Starrlite
on 11/9/15 8:23 am, edited 11/9/15 3:37 am

In 2015, there is no excuse not to research and conclude that there are just certain rides not worth taking.   Look at the experienced passengers, years ago they went in with excitement and the best expectations.  

Still the choice is yours.  Think you are anxious and confused now . .  . try adjustable gastric banding!  lol 

All the best to you!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

C J
on 11/13/15 11:52 am - , TN

Amen!

Living > Existing

256/231/135

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/15 9:27 am - NY

Banded since 2007 with no problems.  Down over 100 pounds.  Want to lose 40 more.  Off all diabetic medication.  Love my band but hate the follow up.  If I were a patient considering surgery now, I would go with the sleeve.  Just because I am lazy and hate going to the office visits to get adjustments every few months.  Other than that no complaints.  The visits do help keep me accountable though.  I know they are coming up and I really stay on track.  Good luck with your decision. 

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/15 10:07 am

Thank you

skystar69
on 11/10/15 10:20 am - Seaford, De

I can tell you I just met with my dr last week. I was banded 3-years ago and have gained 60 of the 100lbs I had lost back. He informed me that the Lap Band should never have been used for Long Term weightloss for someone with 100lbs or more to lose. He actually stopped doing the band and is only now doing the Sleeve, RNY & DS. I am going in for a revision and leaning toward the RNY because of the longer history of that procedure being successful for long term weightloss. Just telling you what I was told by my doctor, I have no idea how much weight you have to lose but I do know of several people that I know personally that have had issues with bands and are going in for revisions. Best of Luck!!

cmcelfish
on 11/11/15 7:04 pm

I have been told that many doctors don't want to do them because of problems they can cause. They say many patients have to have surgery within5 years to repair damage. They also say that many insurance companies won't pay for fills. I have had a band for 5 years and I have never felt full I going to the sleeve. Good luck on whatever you choose

Joe 

Wyldblu
on 11/12/15 10:58 am

I am not a band basher and was banded for about 9 years. I lost 130 lbs. with the band. Then, it slipped...and kept slipping. What this meant for me was, horrible reflux to the point of waking up all through the night and throwing up, mostly stomach acid. At this point the only way I could even fall asleep was sitting straight up in bed with a giant reading pillow behind me Still, I got very little sleep due to the incredible reflux. It was horrifying. The doctor kept me unfilled until it would go back into place, and then put a little fill in so I would have some restriction and it would happen over and over again. It was horrible. Finally, the doctor told me it would have to be removed. When he went to remove it, somehow it had wrapped itself around my stomach. I have no idea what this looked like, but in the process, he also cut a small hole in my stomach. It was repaired, but the recovery was not fun. 

I gained a lot of the weight back even before it was removed.

I have since revised to the VSG and so far so good. 

This is only my experience. You have to do your own research. However, my doctor also does not recommend lap bands anymore, siting too many problems in his office.

There is maintenance with the band as well, for your fills and/or unfills as needed.

DO YOUR RESEARCH, then decide what works best for you.

Wyldblu

C J
on 11/13/15 11:45 am - , TN

Sleeve!!!! The band is plagued with complications.  Reoperation is inevitable!!!!!  I had a horrible time with mine.

CJ

Living > Existing

256/231/135

C J
on 11/13/15 1:48 pm - , TN

Also, the traffic on this board is very telling!!!!!  When I had my band placed in 2008, this board was hopping.....now, there isn't even a new post every day.  To me that means that folks are having them removed, and that the number of lap band surgeries has greatly decreased!!!!!  Hopefuls and new patients post like crazy.  This board.........crickets!

CJ

Living > Existing

256/231/135

C J
on 11/13/15 1:48 pm - , TN

Also, the traffic on this board is very telling!!!!!  When I had my band placed in 2008, this board was hopping.....now, there isn't even a new post every day.  To me that means that folks are having them removed, and that the number of lap band surgeries has greatly decreased!!!!!  Hopefuls and new patients post like crazy.  This board.........crickets!

CJ

Living > Existing

256/231/135

Most Active