New here - Need some advice !

annie0039
on 11/4/15 3:19 pm

The Band isn't a Long Term Weight loss. The revision rates are at 60%. Most Dr's that were placing bands 5 yrs ago are no longer doing them due to the Complications.

You'd be wise to research the Sleeve, Gastric Bypass or Duodenal Switch if your looking for long term WL.

Dejah H.
on 11/5/15 1:30 pm - Central, TX

Not sure where you are getting your information from, but all of the documentation about the band is that it IS a long term weight loss tool. Here is a quote from www.lapband.com - "The LAP-BAND® System is a long-term implant."

For every band failure, I am sure there is a sleeve failure, a bypass failure, etc. 

So sad that there are so many band bashers out there. smh

289 / 273 / 163.4 / 164   10cc AP Standard  my band! 

annie0039
on 11/6/15 5:41 pm, edited 11/6/15 9:42 am

Not sure where you get your information but I have a group of close to 3,000 members, some permanently damaged by the band. I know for those that love their band 3,000 seems like a small number in comparison to the Hundred of thousands that were convinced to get a band.

We even have a Renowned  Bariatric Surgeon in the Group and When new members come into the group and  THEY tell us that THEIR surgeon no longer is doing band, that to me speaks volumes :)

Try Goggling Gastric band complications, gastric band + aspiration pneumonia, esophageal Dilation+ GB,I think you get the picture.

And to be honest if you go to lap band .com What do you expect them to say?  Our device only lasts 5 yrs? SMH.

Just to be Clear I'm not a band basher I'm a REALIST. And the DS is the "Platinum:" of WLS and the RNY the "gold" standard. You'll NEVER hear those titles used when talking about the Band :)

Dejah H.
on 11/6/15 7:40 pm - Central, TX

You make yourself and others seem very out of control of your own decisions... Those who were convinced to get the band?? You didn't decide that for yourself? If not, that is pathetic. 

I'm sorry for the problems that you and others have suffered, but take some ownership. We all knew there were risks and possible complications as with ANY surgery. We have a device in our body. We all made the choice to have it placed to try to lose weight. For some it was not the answer they were looking for, just like for some DS, RNY, or the sleeve was not the answer they were looking for.

Take ownership. Your body, your decisions.

289 / 273 / 163.4 / 164   10cc AP Standard  my band! 

C J
on 11/14/15 9:23 am - , TN

Also, I would like to respond about "being out of control of your own decisions".  I jokingly refer to it as "drinking the kool-aid"....I consider myself somewhat intelligent, but the MARKETING  greatly influenced my decision....as I am sure it did others.  Allergan is a powerhouse.....a marketing giant.... ie, BOTOX!!!!!  I guess you may consider it pathetic... I consider it false advertising.

CJ

Living > Existing

256/231/135

Nic M
on 11/14/15 11:07 am

Back in 2003 when I had the band done, there was literally nothing to research. The surgeon said, "It's a lifetime product. You don't need to lose enough weight to go with the 'more invasive' gastric bypass. Try the band. If it doesn't work, we'll take it out and do something else." So I trusted he knew what he was talking about. I watched a video (VHS!) of Ann Wilson from the band, Heart, telling us that the band worked miracles for her and it could work miracles for the rest of us, too. Too bad it's not quite as simple as just yanking the band out when it inevitably doesn't work. I never knew how much damage that thing could do to a body.

I agree... nothing to do with being out of control. Everything to do with believing the advertising and marketing. I thought my surgeon had my best interests at heart, but it turned out, he really wanted to start making lots of money with banding. It was a very lucrative business decision. Not so much anymore since the more upstanding medical practitioners are steering people away from the band, at least.  

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

C J
on 11/13/15 11:48 am - , TN

I disagree.  There are many more band complications.  Research it and you will see.  Most surgeons won't even place the band now.  I am so glad you are having good results with yours, but I am afraid you are the exception, not the rule.

CJ

Living > Existing

256/231/135

kellygirl17
on 11/4/15 3:51 pm

My advise is to NOT get the Labband - I have had a rough 8 years with it and will be revised to Bypass in December. I wish now that I had not gotten it in the first place and am praying that everything is okay when the revision is done. I'm happy for anyone who has had comfortable success but that was not me. Most important thing is for you to do plenty of research and speak to doctors about your concerns.

Wishing you luck with your journey.

Karen D.
on 11/4/15 6:44 pm - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

HI! I have had my band for 9 1/2 years. At first I lost weight well, 86lbs, then after year 3 or 4 I started having swallowing problems. All fluid was taken out in 2010 and I didn't return to my do****il 2013. I gained all 86lbs back. I still have swallowing issues and a recent upper GI confirmed something was going on. I had told my doc I wanted to revise to the sleeve and this upper GI sealed the deal. I'm having the band out 11/24.

The band hasn't been my friend for about 5 years but it also helped me to keep my weight under control, so to speak. Without it I'd be huge! There are many who have had success with the band. It's hard to know who is going to have issues and who won't. Heck...I don't even have much hope that the sleeve will get me to goal. I have struggled for so long I feel like there is no hope. We shall see.

Good luck with your decision!

Nic M
on 11/8/15 9:39 am

You also might want to try Googling, "Lap Band + Referred left shoulder pain;" and "Lap Band + Vagus nerve damage." It's a very common side effect of gastric banding. If you're one of the lucky ones, the pain will subside after band removal. Some of us end up with permanent issues from it.

In your research, you might also want to read the Revisions forum here on OH. You'll see an overwhelming number of band revisions. It might help you to decide if this is something you can live with or not.

A lot of insurance companies are refusing to pay for revisions or band removal, so be sure that you're aware of this before making a final decision. There is a high failure rate with the Lap Band (Google Lap Band failure rate to see the info on this.)

Good luck to you.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Most Active