Banded 5 years ago - having problems

Banded2010
on 8/13/15 7:46 am

I was banded in 2010 and I've lost about 80 pounds since then.  I did change my life style a bit.  I go to the gym and eat smaller portions.  However, in the last year or so I've been having issues.  My lap-band doctor did some blood work and noticed that my blood platelets were low and that my Vitamin B was extremely low.  So he referred me to a hematologist.  The hematologist has done all kinds of tests on me and the only thing he has figured out is that my spleen is enlarged and I have a vitamin B an iron deficiency.  I've had to go through vitamin injections.  He does not think that it is the lap band that is causing this, but he can't find anything else wrong with me.  I've also had a lot of problems with hemorrhoids in the past few years and I've NEVER had that problem.  Going to the bathroom is becoming very stressful.  So I am seriously considering having my lap band removed but am deathly afraid of gaining all that weight back.  Can anyone give me any feedback on any of this????  Is anyone else having these issues?

Queen JB
on 8/13/15 2:55 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

Sorry this is happening :(

I had different problem with my band--none of the same you listed...but wanted to pipe in to ask whether you might consider having a revision surgery, instead of just a removal?

From what I understand, having the band removed without any revision can cause its own set of problems.

My surgeon was able to convince the insurance company that even though I had a BMI of 33 and no co-morbidities, that I could revise to the RNY, so it is possible!

Good luck!

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Hislady
on 8/14/15 8:30 pm - Vancouver, WA

It really doesn't sound band related to me and I'm on several forums besides this one and have never heard of these same issues from anyone else. If I were you I think I would hold off if you aren't sure it is the band. It could be something completely different. Now I'm the first one to say get rid of the band, I had mine removed last year. However I'm also of the opinion that if it ain't broke don't fix it! Good luck to you!!

Susans_journey
on 8/15/15 9:55 am

Hi.

You did not make it clear if the vitamin deficiency was B12 or other B vitamins.  If the deficiency is B12, then you may want to consider showing some of the following resources to your doc.  The vagus nerve is responsible for causing the parietal cells in the gut to make something caused intrinsic factor.  Intrinsic factor is necessary in order to be able to absorb B12. (When we get older, we fail to produce as much intrinsic factor and tend toward B12 deficiency anemia, requiring injections of B12 since taking it orally will NOT allow absorption) Here is one resource, but I suggest you google B12 intrinsic factor and vagus nerve function.  Good luck!  May be an answer.  Vagus nerve dysfunction may impair intrinsic factor production, leading to anemia and B12 deficiency.

Consider the following:

The vagus normally stimulates the stomach's parietal cells to secrete acid and intrinsic factor. Intrinsic factor is needed to absorb vitamin B12 from food.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12036186

Most Active