LapBand and Acid Reflux

KerriB
on 12/30/14 5:39 am - RI

I am at 10 1/2 years and in the last 4 months had horrible reflux for the first time. I had endoscopy that showed I had ulcers in my esophagus only.  It was recommended to have the fill removed.  I have had no issues since and my ulcers are healing up with aloe juice and Hyland #10 tablets.   I had to find a new lap band doctor as my surgeon is 1300 miles away.  The new doc was great and said the band was perfectly in place and to come back in a year for a check up.  He said it should last a lifetime.  

KerriB
on 12/30/14 5:42 am - RI

I lost 90 lbs with the band and only had 1/2 a cc of fluid in the 4 cc band.  The doc said I had some swelling.  That was obvious.  The bloating is already gone.  I still can eat the same.  The difference in no fill is night and day with the reflux. 

Iam_with_the_Band
on 12/30/14 6:29 am

If the reflux starts up again, don't ignore it. I am glad it resolved with an unfill

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

BuckeyeGirl
on 1/4/15 10:41 am - TN

How far out are you from your VSG? I required a PPI initially, but haven't needed it for years now. I can't remember exactly how long I required it...maybe the first 6-8 months? Anyway, I guess I'm in that 40%, but just thought I'd chime in that for a lot of people the reflux decreases over time.

Anyway, glad to hear that you continue to do well with your sleeve!

Lindsey

LilSleeved
on 1/4/15 11:32 am

2 years from vsg. I have halved the dose recently and doing well, but if I forget to take the dose, I have reflux 

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

NeeCeeUSA
on 1/8/15 8:02 am
VSG on 08/03/15

What type of problems did you have with your band?  What is vsg?  I think I let them loosen my band too much and now I have gained and am not happy about it.  I want it tightened but have to find a new Dr. as he no longer accepts my insurance. 

LilSleeved
on 1/8/15 1:53 pm

My LapBand tightened suddenly. The scar tissue built up around it. I had not had an adjustment in over 2 years and had been at goal. 

VSG is the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

NeeCeeUSA
on 1/9/15 12:00 am
VSG on 08/03/15

I hope you don't mind me asking more questions as I am at the point where I may get a revision to the sleeve from lap band. I could probably tighten my band again but I did have vomiting issues, while that didn't really bother me those around me were not impressed and began to worry. I cannot accept regaining weight to this extent and I cannot control my eating without the restrictive device.  Did you find the sleeve to be similar in the way it restricted your food?  less appetite? Full faster?  I get anxiety about going to get my band loosened or tightened because the lady that does it at my Dr. is not very nice.  She makes me feel like  failure or like I am trying to get away with something.  Last time she loosened it for me she had the needle in and then said she wanted to take all the fluid out to see where I was at...I was like no way are you kidding me.  You have done all my fill and I had only had it loosened once by another provider so we know where I am at.  Lucky for her she only went ahead and took out 1/2 cc or I might have lost it right there.  But now I really wish I had not had it loosened because of the gaining I am doing.  I wish I could just not be hungry and not eat what or when I shouldn't but if I could do that I would not have needed the surgery in the first place right? 

So with the sleeve was your recover time similar to the lap band?  Any complications?  Any reservations due to the permanent cutting away of part of your stomach?

How long are lap bands safe to have in?

Thanks for listening and answering if you can.  Denise

LilSleeved
on 1/9/15 2:57 am

I loved my LapBand! But my Sleeve is really very similar, just better in that I have never gotten stuck, vomited or slimed. Not once! I can eat anything. Revision weight loss is not as easy as a Virgin procedure. Your body is used to living on the lower calories and restriction, so you have to work harder on buring your calories. I have seen this often. The Sleeve is poorly restrictive. It's permanent and you can increase the size of your Sleeve if you constantly over eat. I had no complications at all. No regrets. Ask anything, any time.

LilSleeved
on 1/4/15 11:34 am

That's really good to know! Hopefully mine will totally resolve!

Most Active