LapBand and Acid Reflux

Iam_with_the_Band
on 12/24/14 11:10 am

I got my LapBand in 2008.  I lost 271 lbs in less than 2 years and had 9 skin removal procedures done.  About 5 years later, I started having severe Acid Reflux.  It started with a nagging cough throughout the day.  Nothing helped my cough.  My voice started changing and then I was waking up with a mouth full of acid.  My surgeon had retired, so I found a new surgeon and he did an UGI which showed nothing but minimal dismotility.  I was getting to the point where I couldn't eat or drink during the day as my throat was so irriated and swollen.  He emptied my Band and I scheduled surgery to have it removed.  I cried the day I went in to remove it.  I felt the Band had saved my life, as I started at 488 lbs. (the day of surgery)  513 highest weight.  I was revised to the Sleeve and am very happy with it, even though I do take Prilosec daily due to the acid caused by the Sleeve.  (this is a common problem - 60% will take a PPI for a lifetime)

If you are Banded, do not igore your acid reflux.  Scar tissue had built up and surrounded my LapBand where it had to be dug out.  The surgery took a lot longer than my surgeon expected.  It's a serious issue.  I remember telling my LapBand friends to not ignore their Reflux and several telling me (I will never have mine removed!)  they all have had their's removed.

The LapBand is a good tool  It's being marketed now as a temporary tool and those who are being Banded are doing well because they know they won't have it forever. 

These are my opinions.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

kathkeb
on 12/24/14 2:38 pm

Thank you!   I am about a year behind you, and take 40 mg of Omeprazole a day .... And that keeps my reflux in check for now.

I have followed your progress ... My sister is a VSG patient and recently saw Sauseda for an LBL, arms, breast reconstruction ,,.. I encouraged her based on your great reviews of him.

I am glad to hear that you were able to revert to VSG.

I keep putting the max into my HSA thinking that my band may need to be reverted to a sleeve at some point.

Kath

Iam_with_the_Band
on 12/24/14 2:43 pm

How is your sister doing? I hope she's well! He is the best surgeon! Glad to hear you're doing well!

kathkeb
on 12/28/14 8:43 am

My sister is doing GREAT!!  I saw her on Christmas and she went back to work about 2 weeks earlier than expected and is recuperating great.

Thanks for asking!

Kath

Kate -True Brit
on 12/24/14 7:49 pm - UK

Sorry this has happened to you.  When I was banded back in 2006, the idea of a build up of scar tissue was, as far as I know, something no-one thought of. But it is, it seems to me, one of the most common problems now.

At almost 9 years out, I am still one of the lucky ones and hope I may continue to be so. But nothing is certain. I do actually know in real life quite a number of people banded as long or even longer than I have been. 

I have twice had tiny amounts of saline (0.1cc) removed after having very, very mild acid reflux; the last time being two or three years ago. I have always been paranoid about being tight and so ran to my doctor at the first sign of trouble! 

All banded people can do is minimise risks which can be minimised and hope the non- controllable risks don't happen to them!

I am very pleased VSG is working for you. It does seem to have a very high satisfaction rating. I have two good friends for whom it has been a disaster but the vast majority say it is a superb surgery. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Iam_with_the_Band
on 12/24/14 8:23 pm, edited 12/24/14 8:24 pm

I had a 14 ml band and only had 5.6 mls in it. Picture perfect band experience. Kept my band very loose, rarely slimed. Things were perfect until they weren't. 

I think there are a few fortunate ones with lapband in place. That's good. 

Kate -True Brit
on 12/24/14 9:48 pm - UK

Oh, yes,   Fully accept you did nothing to bring about your proboems! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Hislady
on 12/25/14 9:40 am - Vancouver, WA

I've been trying to tell band people that for at least the last 2-4 yrs but they just don't want to hear it. I also know of people who have suffered severe damage because their own surgeons don't listen to them when they try  to tell them the scar tissue is between the band and the stomach. Not outside the band where they want to look for it or do look for it and then tell the patient that everything is fine no scar tissue, as the poor patient is miserable with pain or vomitting.

I'm starting to think my own surgeon that removed my band did the same thing because he told me I had very little scar tissue, yet I still have horrid pain and acid. I'm wondering if he just left the scar tissue around the stomach because I still can't eat anywhere near what I used to and I wasn't even a volume eater! I still can only eat maybe 6 good bites before I feel sickly full. I'm planning on trying to get in to see a gastro again soon and have them try a nasal endoscopy to see if they can see anything. I just really can't keep going the way I am now. There are so few foods I can eat and even those still cause the backed up feeling that causes pain in my diaphram area. I need to remember to get a copy of my surgical report too (before any changes can be made to it) don't know if they would but I don't trust anybody any more when it comes to my body!!

MsMyra
on 1/2/15 1:51 pm

Thank you!

I had not put my digestive issues and acid reflux/GERD  together with my lap band surgery of 2011.

My family has been trying to tell me it's the lap band.... But I felt I always had to defend my decision to have the surgery.

The pain the vomiting for last 3+ yrs I did not realize FOR REAL it could be the band. I've had tests done  with my PC and my GI Dr. no one can seem to really find out what the problem is.

I am just looking for a new Gastro Dr. at a teaching hospital an hour away.

So what do I do now?  Should I go back to my surgeon? Tell him the hell I've been going through the last few years?

I want to eat salads again and fresh fruit!!! I live on Spec K and blueberries

CElizabeth
on 12/25/14 10:01 am
VSG on 11/10/16

I can understand where the band would be marketed as a temporary solution. I've had my band 7 1/2 years and other than a slip about a year into it (in 2008) I'm doing great. I've lost 90 lbs and couldn't be happier. Now, I only have reflux in the winter and then it's sporadic, so I don't take reflux meds all the time. I know someday I'll probably have to have the sleeve done as a replacement, but I'm going to keep this band for as long as possible. It's a lifesaver and was my first option. Many people in my life now, don't even know I have a band, or think it's just cool, because I can eat whatever I want, in small quantities. Good luck to you.

HARRISBURG Pa 

Revision to Gastric Sleeve Nov 10, 2016

Lap band Removed June 2016

Current weight is 172

Surgery Weight was 196

Goal weight aoround 145

Most Active