Introduction

pineview01
on 10/13/14 10:10 am, edited 10/22/14 2:32 pm - Davison, MI

Some have reported in the last couple years that the Army, at least at some post, will no longer do the band due to the complications. I wanted the band for all the reasons you give. But, keep in mind the statement that it is reversible is NOT true.  It is removable.  Just the process of placing the band causes permanent changes.  The longer and more sensitive to the band you, are the more permanent changes it makes.  I took the same amount of time to recover from the band and sleeve.  I actually had less trouble recovering from the sleeve than getting the band and having it removed.  I also don't have any issues with malabsorbtion with the sleeve and can eat a more balanced healthy diet.

There is a reason it is hard to find a totally pro band board.  Even those that are, have had people have issues with them and post those results.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Suzzie_Queue
on 10/13/14 11:15 am

I don't believe that the sleeve is covered by Tricare...so that apparently is not an option.

pineview01
on 10/13/14 2:20 pm, edited 10/13/14 2:24 pm - Davison, MI

I would ask on the sleeve boards.  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/5271127/VSG-and-Tricare-Prime/

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

cheyenne000
on 10/14/14 5:06 am
VSG on 03/25/16

I had my surgery in 2009, there have been some up's and downs but to make a long story short. I am happy with my band and the quality of life it has given me. I would do it again. I worked in the hospital where I had mine done and also assisted my doc in the lapband program that was started at our hospital. We placed a lot of bands and out of all the bands that were done I know of two that had to have them removed. At the time the band was my only choice, but it has been a great tool in helping me maintain a healthy weight. If you have any questions send me a message I will be happy to help.

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

donnamy3sons
on 10/22/14 6:03 pm - Pinetops, NC
Revision on 08/13/13

hi I am also a nurse so I can answer your questions about being out of work....I had my band placed in Feb. 2010 and was only out a week, pain wise it wasnt that bad. just a few days of pain meds.  i was driving by day 3. It was a pain coming back to 12 hour shifts trying to drink liquids every 2 hours:( I lost down from 236lb day of surgery to 150lbs by my 1 year mark. starting at my 1 year anniversary I started  having problems with vomiting, unable to keep food down, especially dense protein and vegetables. I tried without success for 2.5 years to keep my band. had many, many fills and unfills. My quailty of life was miserable. I dreaded going out to eat with my family. I always had to make sure I knew where the bathroom was because I would ineviteably throw up. Miserable existance but I did not want another surgery. I threw in the towel and decided on the sleeve, had that done 8/2013. have never been happier. My surgeon found tons of scar tissue all around my stoamach, adhered to my liver and around my port. Also a hiatal hernia form all the vomiting I had been having. This surgery was a little harder to recover from physically, I am no wimp mind you but it was more painful to me than the band. I was out of work with this one for 8 weeks, just because of our limitiations in the amt of weight we can lift. best of luck to you and oh by the way I am down to 130lbs smallest I have ever been in my life and it feels amazing.....

Most Active