UPPER GI PAIN

SONIABARRAZA
on 9/9/14 10:21 am

I HAD MY SURGERY IN 2009 WIEGHED 265 AND WENT DOWN TO 165 THEN WITH TIME GAINED 30LBS ON THANKGIVING  2013 DINNER HAD A SPOON FULL OF TURKEY AND INSTANTLY HAD THE PAIN SHORTNESS OF BREATH RUSHED TO ER SAID I HAD BLOCKAGE OF TURKEY SO ALL 5CC'S WERE REMOVED DIDNT GO BACK TILL MAY 2014 AND I STILL WAS WIEGHING 197 DR SAID HE WOULD GO EASY ON REFILLS TO AVOID SLIPPAGE ITS NOW SEPTEMBER 2014 AND I HAD  THE FLU THIS WEEKEND AND HAD BEEN DOING AN EXCISSIVE AMOUNT OF VOMITTING WELL NOW I HAVE UPPER GI PAIN NOT LIKE THE DAY I HAD BLOCKAGE THIS HURTS TO MY SHOLDER AND ALOS WHEN I EAT OR DRINK I HAVE EXTREAM PAIN NEVER FELT THIS I WILL GO TO ER TOMM IF DOSENT GET BETTER TONIGHT ANY ONE ELSE THAT THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ?

Kate -True Brit
on 9/9/14 9:34 pm, edited 9/9/14 9:35 pm - UK

Either (best case scenario) you have irritated the tissues by vomiting - in which case things should improve if you just stick to fluids for a day or so or (worst case scenario) your band has slipped. 

I am not American and don't know your system, but my immediate move would be to contact my bariatric surgeon and if s/he could not see me very quickly, I would go to ER.  ER is not the first choice as they are not band experts. If you can still take fluids, it us not quite so urgent as if you find swallowing impossible. But with the level of pain you describe, you need to see someone ASAP.  If you have to go to ER, can you find one in a hospital which has a bariatric unit! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Hislady
on 9/10/14 6:06 am - Vancouver, WA

Shoulder pain makes me think that all the vomitting irritated the vagus nerve causing shoulder pain. However if you ae still in pain you should always contact your surgeon.

annie0039
on 9/11/14 8:20 am

YES, I have experienced this it seems your telling MY STORY.. I experienced food poisoning ( think allot of vomiting) Afterwards i wasn't able to eat much or drink water without experiencing Reflux. Then the Left shoulder pain also started and it go progressive worse to the point of feeling like someone stabbed me in the L Shoulder, then it would Burn and eventually subside, but would reoccur on multiple occasions. I went to see my Surgeon who Didn't believe it was Band related. I had all the tests, ENG, Shoulder, chest Xrays. Had steroid injection for what was thought to "possibly" Rotator Cuff damage Which didn't touch the pain, and it wasn't RC. after 6 mos of this pain and the Range of motion in my shoulder getting worse to the point of not being able to use my L arm I demanded the band be removed. Diagnosis My band had slipped. :( Pain was gone immediately and it took a few months to get the range of motion back.

IMHO I believe when a band slips it can /does come into contact with the Diaphragm, the Diaphragm doesn't feel pain it Refers it to the L. Shoulder.

http://anatomynotes.blogspot.com/2006/10/referred-pain.html

ALSO the Vagus Nerve can also be involved, Please see your LB Surgeon and I hope you find a resolution SOON!!

Most Active