Lap Band Removal??

pineview01
on 9/24/14 12:36 am - Davison, MI

If you had a puss pocket that is the indicator your band was eroding.  You were saved from a condition than can go septic and may have saved you life.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Margeson2012
on 9/24/14 3:06 am

I live in Texas and had my lap band removed 8-25-14 by Dr. Wade Barker in Dallas. My lap band was put in 12-9-09 but I had constant problems with pain around my port and my band slipped up on my esophagus so it had to be removed. I was in the hospital for 2 nights and they did it all in 1 surgery. They told me to expect 2 hours but they said everything went smoothly so it only took 1.5 to take out band and do the revision to bypass. My recovery was a lot quicker than band surgery and I never had nausea. My doctor is freaking awesome. I had hardly any pain even with incisions. First week was clear liquids, second was full liquids, and then 4 weeks of pureed/soft type foods. Almost 4 weeks out so I'm not back to eating normal yet and I plan to play it safe for a while and not dive back into eating just anything. If it's not on my approved foods list I wont be eating it for a long time.  

Renee1003
on 7/28/15 8:40 pm

I'm going in the hospital on Tuesday August 4th (2015) to have my band removed --- they'll be taking my gallbladder too.   I went to a new doctor and when he looked at the ultra sounds and X-rays he could see that the band is flat where it should be tilted slightly and there's a slip with stomach tissue going over the band that COULD turn necrotic if not taken care of and of course he will look at the tissue while in there to see if the tissue has already started to become necrotic.   My old doc let me sit for two years with a slipped band because I didn't have insurance during my lay off --- I'm furious about that knowing what COULD have happened.   Anyway - my BMI is under 30 now and there's no way I fit the criteria for a sleeve - the doctor said no insurance company will approve me at this weight and I'm petrified of gaining again.   What diets did everyone follow after having the band removed? and what could I expect?   I understand I can't work out for at least 6 weeks (spin class and body pump, etc....)    On the flip side, I'm so excited to be able to eat a plate of fruit and a full salad again - and I can't wait to find out if the acid reflux, night coughs, etc will subside.....   To be normal again will be great - to gain weight will really mess me up mentally - can't let that happen ---- so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!  :)

losing_the_band
on 8/6/15 6:29 pm, edited 8/6/15 6:54 pm
Revision on 08/27/15

I would seriously consider trying to get a revision approved.  Yes, you wouldn't be approved for bariatric surgery if your original BMI was under 35, but you aren't seeking approval for a regular bariatric procedure, you're seeking approval for a revision due to a technical malfunction or complication.  You'd have a serious chance at approval.  You might have to fight for it, and possibly get a lawyer involved, but you would likely be successful.  You need to see a surgeon that specializes in revisions. 

Lap-Band 2007

Lap-Band Replaced 2011

APPROVED for revision to RNY! Awaiting surgery date!

losing_the_band
on 8/7/15 1:30 am
Revision on 08/27/15

I'll be having mine taken out on August 24th and revising to RNY!  I can't wait.  I've already had to have my band replaced once, and the second one has just never worked for me. 

Lap-Band 2007

Lap-Band Replaced 2011

APPROVED for revision to RNY! Awaiting surgery date!

Most Active