LapBand Removal???/

lovelife
on 7/27/14 3:07 am - Hoquiam, WA

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate your words of encouragement and advice. 

Hislady
on 7/27/14 4:16 am, edited 7/27/14 4:16 am - Vancouver, WA

If you are going to be self pay for a revision I would say look at a DS (dsfacts.com) it is supposed to be the very best for weight loss. I would suggest you find a different doc especially if he is just trying to sell you pre-packaged meals. I know there are other WLS docs in Longview which isn't too far from where you are. If you are having trouble with reflux and throwing up then you are either too tight or your band is causing problems because you shouldn't have either of those issues if your band is properly placed and working. Like I said before the band is basically a joke for the majority of us and hundreds if not thousands have had to revise to another surgery or have just had it removed and are battling it without surgery because for whatever reason they won't or can't have another surgery, You might even want to have your band unfilled a tiny bit to see if that helps with the reflux and vomiting. Good luck to you!!!

Jaime P.
on 7/27/14 4:58 am
VSG on 07/22/14

I had problems with my lap band from the beginning - in 2008 although I lost about 80 lbs, it was never very healthy as I could never get to that sweet spot. A year in I was having problems and the doctor determined that the tubing and port was twisted so they went in and replaced it. About 6 months later, I got something stuck, threw up and then continued to throw up everything for a few days. Turns out it had slipped and my stomach had come through the top of the band and completely closed me off. That turned into lap band surgery number 3 in two years. Thankfully my insurance paid for each one since they were emergencies. By the third surgery I had gain back about 40 lbs due to all the complications. After the last surgery, I would get sick anytime I got a fill so I was scared to get one and cause another slip. I gained back the rest of my weight in the next 3 years. Fast forward to this year when I decided to do a revision to VSG. My band was unfilled several months ago, but I was still getting sick on random protein or other food after one bite or two. It was very random. Revision surgery was on the 22nd and then I found out the reason for most of my problems - so much scar tissue had built up between the band and stomach, around the band, around the tubing and where it connected that they were not even able to fit the incubation tube down my throat without removing some scar tissue first. Sometimes you may not know there is an issue until they are in there actually looking at it. Also, after the last surgery, my stomach somehow folded over itself and tissue was growing like spider webs and holding it together. They were able to correct all of that during this surgery along with taking the 80% of my stomach for the sleeve procedure. I really think that if I had not done this revision, I would be looking at some serious issues down the road.  Hopefully it works for me with no complications. 

Good luck with whatever route you decide to go. 

Instagram

32 y/o female 5'2"; HW 260; GW 140; SW 245.8; CW 233; BMI 43.6

Cauline
on 7/27/14 10:02 am

My story is similar to yours - band in 2009, lost a lot of weight. Something happened - gained most of it back and unable to get back on the wagon. Then a friend told me about Keto. It's basically low carb, moderate protein, high fat. I've lost 45 pounds since November. Granted, it's not like the honeymoon phase after WLS, but it's real. I don't feel hungry, and I feel better than I have in years. I'm just suggesting that you look into non-surgical options. Maybe like me, you'll find that if you'd known about this lifestyle before surgery, you wouldn't have gotten it in the first place. There is a TON of information on the internet. www.reddit.com/r/keto 

I wish you the best, whatever you decide.

Lost 43 pre-op, 47 post-op, gained back 75, and now lost 45 thanks to r/keto                                                     

“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience by which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

lovelife
on 7/27/14 11:50 am - Hoquiam, WA

Thank you.  I will definitely check it out.

Most Active