Lap band & reflux

Aloha_Debk
on 7/19/14 5:32 am

I am new to this forum & seeking info on reflux and GERD associated with long term lap banding. I had my WLS 4/2005. I lost about 140 lbs over approx 18 months.  I was doing well maintaining and then in 6/2010 had to have a total knee replacement. This was a long, painful recovery. Due to lack of activity, depression and isolation I gained about 25 lbs. after a year I was able to resume all my normal activities & exercise regularly. Menopause set in about a 18 mos. ago, and another 25 lbs. has crept back. I have now gained 50 lbs. back. My sutgeon left the state and I am ha ing awful reflux and GERD symptoms. I eat at least 3 hrs before bed, am aware of problematic foods but it's getting worse. Saw my PCP yesterday who is referring me to a G.I. Doc for the reflux/GERD issue and to get dome images of my band to see if it's still in place, in good shape etc. If my band is still "good" I'd consider seeing a new Bariatric Doc for a partial fill to get these 50 lbs off. Then I think I am going to explore having the band taken out. I maintain a healthy lifestyle, we eat well, exercise regularly and my husband is 100% supportive. We feel if I can just get this off and stop this upward trend I can maintain as I was very successful for 5 yrs with no additional band fills.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am especially interested in hearing from those with long-term lap band like myself. 

Aloha!

Hislady
on 7/19/14 9:51 am - Vancouver, WA

In my experience reflux is the begining of tthe end of banded life. The longer you have your band the more scar tissue builds up between the band and the stomach. Sometimes this causes a tighter feeling and other times it causes GERD. The best thing to do is to loosen not tighten the band if you want to hopefully get rid of the reflux. There is no guarantee  that even that will fix it, my band has been out for 5 mos. and I still suffer daily with horrible heartburn. I take 2 meds that are supposed to help it but they aren't doing any good.

The best thing you can do is get the band out ASAP and do you revision and then work on that 50 lbs. It will be much easier to loose after a revision. The band has proven to be a curse for many, many of us. good luck what ever you decide on.

Kate -True Brit
on 7/20/14 1:00 am - UK

Reflux is a common symptom of a too-tight band. It may be simply that your weight regain has caused this. We get fills as fat under the band decreases, it seems logical that if we regain, the band will feel tighter, just like a skirt belt. 

If so, a fill would be a very bad idea!!!!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

kathkeb
on 7/21/14 3:41 pm

I agree with the others.  If your band was properly adjusted ... And over time you gained 50 pounds, it is probably too tight.

You should look into getting some fluid out as a first step and see if the GERD resolves itself.

Kath

Aloha_Debk
on 7/22/14 1:25 pm

Thank you for the input and advice. I saw my primary care doctor on 7/18 and he has referred me to a new Bariatric Surgeon and I have an appt for imaging on 7/28. After we get this done I will go in for a consult to see what he recommends and what my options are. It sounds like getting the band OUT is the best choice, especially based on the input from all of you. I appreciate your sharing and support. 

aloha! 

Most Active