pls help 4 weeks post op

emsmith85
on 7/13/14 5:16 am - United Kingdom

Hi im 4 weeks post op and just started trying "normal foods" as instructed by my dietitian so I had some all bran for breakfast with no problems and for tea I tried some granery toast with low fat cheese and now ive got terrible chest pain and heartburn every thing ive googled with my symptoms leads to band slippage I chewed my food well and took my time but now im scared to death my band has slipped any oe had aimular experience thanks in advance 

Hislady
on 7/13/14 1:42 pm - Vancouver, WA

Hopefully our favorite Brit, Kate will be along before long and she is more familiar with your system over there. I think you are just eating things that are difficult to digest bran is very difficult to digest and so is bread . We are told not to eat bread, rice pasta or anything that can get doughy because it gets stuck and is hard to get down thru the band becacuse it swells after going down. We are told to eat protein first, then veggies and if stick hungry a healthy carb like quinoa, but to mostly stick with protein and non starchy veggies. You would probably be better off to mix tuna, canned chicken or some type of canned meat with greek yogurt and some soft veggies. See how that goes, you probably just stressed your system a bit. I doubt your band slipped but do contact your surgeon if it continues stranger things have happened and some people just never are able to have a band, their bodies basically reject it. Good luck!

Kate -True Brit
on 7/13/14 5:01 pm, edited 7/13/14 5:02 pm - UK

Bread???? Lots of banded people find bread, even toasted difficult!  The chances are that simply the bread firmed a doughy ball above the band and didn't go down.

when in doubt, especially  this early on, phone your doctor, but it is very unlikely you have done harm. By four weeks out, things should be well healed. Can you swallow sips of water? If you can't and it is now several hours later, then that phone call is urgent. 

Once things settle, stick to very soft things like purees and soups for the rest of the day, some people recommend 24 hours but I didn't. 

Assuming this settles, try "easier"  foods. At four weeks I also was moving to normal foods. All Bran with milk is still a soft food and a good idea at breakfast when many of us feel tighter. But I suggest things like soft fish, minced chicken (minced beef is more difficult), sliced ham. Take care with eggs, they can be difficult. Chicken needs to be very moist. Chew to destruction!  If you want bready things, try crackers or rice cakes. I see Hisoady's suggestion of canned meat - very American!!! I read that a lot and am never quite sure what canned chicken is! But the tuna is a good suggestion!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Kate -True Brit
on 7/13/14 5:05 pm - UK

I am sending you a PM with my e mail address. Feel free to contact me! With less weight loss surgery over here, we need to help each other!

Hislady
on 7/14/14 4:36 am - Vancouver, WA

You poor Brits don't have canned chicken?! That's very sad because it is awesome. It is either dark or white chicken meat in a can about the size of a tuna can. It is tender and moist and very easy to get down, even the white meat. Yummy stuff!

Kate -True Brit
on 7/15/14 11:18 pm - UK
On July 14, 2014 at 11:36 AM Pacific Time, Hislady wrote:

You poor Brits don't have canned chicken?! That's very sad because it is awesome. It is either dark or white chicken meat in a can about the size of a tuna can. It is tender and moist and very easy to get down, even the white meat. Yummy stuff!

We might do!  Just I have never noticed it or heard anyone mention it whereas on here lots of people talk about it!

kandee W.
on 7/14/14 9:25 am

I would try sipping some warm tea for a day or so if you can. If you feel no relief  or can not swallow call your doctor. hope you get some relief soon

Banded 2005

Most Active