lapband revision to gastric sleeve in one day

babsgriff
on 7/9/14 3:09 am - houston, MS

Have any of you in or around mississippi had two procedures done in one day? I know mexician docs do, but my hubby prefers for me to stay close.

Hislady
on 7/9/14 5:01 am - Vancouver, WA

Entirely depends on the surgeon, some do some don't. Often especially with the band they prefer to do it in 2 stages because the band has done so much damage and they want to let that heal before doing another surgery. This is something you will have to ask any surgeons you speak with.

Kate -True Brit
on 7/9/14 5:18 am - UK

As Hislady says! There are people on these boards who have had one and others two surgeries to revise. It may also depend on why the band is being removed. If there is a lot of damage, it may need time to  heal. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

grannymedic1
on 7/12/14 12:29 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

I agree with Hislady and Kate. Surgeons do it both ways but it is your surgeons choice based on his/her experience. I have seen it done in one procedure with no problems. I had it done that way and removing the band caused such swelling internally that my UGI looked like a complete blockage. I couldn't swallow my own spit. I would go to the VSG forum and ask around there. I was apparently a rarity but it did happen and I had a horrible recuperation. Most do not.

Good luck,

Sue 

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

danixbanani
on 7/14/14 4:30 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12

Just to echo what others have said, it depends on the surgeon and the amount of damage the band has caused.  I had minimal damage but my doc still did my revision in a two step procedure.  Recovery was easy.  Best of luck!

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Most Active