Lap band

Marcy85
on 6/26/14 5:46 am

I am new here ,and I have  just got my surgery date  so I am looking for someone that  was bigger like my self to talk with that has already had it done. Any  body can respond  just looking  for some insight on some things.

Kate -True Brit
on 6/26/14 6:01 am - UK

Hello! And welcome!  This is a very quiet board, if you look you will see there are only a few posts every day, if that.  But I am happy to answer any questions you might have. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Bette B.
on 6/26/14 12:03 pm

Hi, Marcy, and welcome.

You're looking to talk to someone "bigger", but you don't define that. I was 5'10" and 376 pounds. Are you talking bigger than that?

Bette

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Marcy85
on 6/27/14 2:40 am

Hi,Bette

I am 5'4 and I weigh 430 pounds. Every post  I read on I see people saying that  the lap band is not  a good idea for a person  of my size. So  I was just wondering  had any body  around my size had it done, and how did it turn out?

Bette B.
on 6/27/14 3:24 am

Offhand, I can't think of anyone. I know people who were heavier, but I don't know what their height would have been.

I would suggest, however, that you investigate all the options available to you to see which one will give you the best chance of success. Congratulations on taking the first step toward a healthier life! 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Kate -True Brit
on 6/27/14 5:39 am - UK

There was one lady, I think her user name was airhead (?) who started out at almost 500 lbs, if my memory is correct. Her doctor wanted her to do it to lose weight before having, I think, RNY. Everyone thought that was a bit odd but it worked for her! She lost an enormous amount, then had her second surgery and last I heard was doing well.  But people as big as you are usually go for more radical surgeries. Be guided by your doctor. 

I may have my names and figures wrong. But she was certainiy heavier than you and certainly started with a band! 

Kate -True Brit
on 6/27/14 5:44 am - UK

Found her! airhead74.  She was almost 600 lbs when she got banded. Check out her blog. Go to blue bar above, more, community, member search, put that in as her user name.  It was before DS not RNY. 

kathkeb
on 6/27/14 12:18 pm

Kate,

Didnt Airhead have a band AND plication as her first step .... And then another surgery later?

i am pretty sure she had more than a Lapband before her DS.

Kath

danixbanani
on 6/27/14 6:16 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12

I would suggest looking into all options and discussing them at length with your surgeon.  I don't know of many people your size being successful with the band.  Not to be a debbie downer but just offering my two cents.

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

kerriockey
on 6/27/14 6:20 am - Marshfield, MA

My dr won't band any one one 350 pounds. I'm not sure if that's because of equipment or success rate. That said,  a band is just a tool. Any tool can help you reach your goals as long as you use it correctly. Good luck on your journey!

Most Active