Can you feel it?

mustanggrl01
on 5/24/14 4:20 am - London, KY

I'm currently working on the hoops you have to jump thru before my insurance company will help cover my surgery but I have a question. Once I have my lapband will I be able to feel it? I keep hearing people talk about them being too tight and so on and was wondering if anyone can describe what it feels like. 

Bette B.
on 5/24/14 4:42 am

Speaking strictly from my OWN experiences:

-I can't physically feel the BAND in the sense of it being around my stomach.

-I CAN physically feel the PORT, since it's sutured right under the skin so it can be accessed.

-"Feeling tight" means that the band itself is constricted too tightly around the stomach, which can prevent food from moving into the pouch - your newly-formed smaller stomach (at times) or from the pouch to the larger part of your stomach.

"Too tight" means that WHENever you eat, WHATever you eat and, sometimes, when you drink, what is trying to get into your stomach CAN'T, and has to come back up. You never want to keep a band too tight because, obviously, you're not going to get any nutrition but also because continued vomiting from an over-tight band can lead to any number of serious problems, from band slippage to esophageal damage to erosion of dental enamel.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Kate -True Brit
on 5/24/14 5:54 am, edited 5/24/14 5:55 am - UK

Basically what Bette says! 

Edited: Deleted a sentence written because I misread one of Bette's! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Hislady
on 5/24/14 9:04 am - Vancouver, WA

I never felt it either but I sure do still feel the effects it left me with after it was removed. It damaged my esophagus and stomach to where I now have to puree all my foods to be able to eat! Beware the lapband and it's potential damage!!

annie0039
on 5/29/14 10:04 pm

Bette pretty much stated all there is in respect to "feeling the band" 

Research the Good , Bad AND the Ugly then Decide.

FYI: it's NOT a long term implant and you WILL eventually need to have it removed, replaced, repaired. perhaps multiple times if necessary.

Most Active