Highlights of my journey -

abandster
on 5/17/14 12:27 am

Researched WLS for 2 years. Chose my surgery type. Chose my surgeon. Banded 2005. Almost one year to the day, port infection after having lost 92 pounds. Port removed in doctor's office. Insurance denied replacement as they no longer covered WLS. Fought, won, port replaced in 2007. 2009, tubing comes thru a 2 year old incision. No more weight ever lost. 2010 surgery to remove tubing. Dr. decided to leave it and clean it and pu**** back in.... Took out port instead. Four years later, infection the entire time. Incision would heal and then burst off and on for 4 years. One surgeon put in original band and removed original port and put in second port. A different surgeon was chosen when the tubing became exposed. Yet another surgeon was chosen when the infection never healed. May, 2014....tubing and band removed. All of it is gone. I've made some bad choices in my life but none as bad as this one. Follow up with surgeon next week. Talked to her by phone. She said the band had come completely loose and was INSIDE my stomach. Now that the drugs have worn off, I'm anxious to hear this whole story. She said all the infection was "encased" around the tubing which was rolled up in a little ball in my body cavity. I'm ready to wake up from the nightmare and get on with my life. Oh, and in case you haven't figured it out....yes, I gained all the weight back. So, no surprises there.

P.S. - I was so excited about all of this I bought a house on a main highway to hold weekly meetings in a place where everybody could find us. Had a GREAT turnout when we were meeting. Lots of horror stories. Bottom line....WLS is a crutch.....not a fix. Its a tool. Not a cure all. You still have to DIET (there's that four letter word again).

Kate -True Brit
on 5/17/14 12:44 am - UK

Wow, what a dreadful series of complications.  So sorry this has all happened to you. I have heard if erosion, infection etc but this us really extreme.

Hope you recover well and can move on with your life.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Stephanie M.
on 5/17/14 2:15 am

so sorry to hear of your troubles...this type of complication isn't as unusual as one might think...we have a group on social media (check out my siggy) with over 1700 members, many of whom have experienced your type of problem...eroded bands, tubing wrapped around intestines, even liver and massive infections.  Glad you're on the mend👍

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Nic M
on 5/17/14 2:24 am

Hope you recuperate well. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Hislady
on 5/17/14 4:35 am - Vancouver, WA

Sorry you have had to join the ranks of the band wounded and hope you don't suffer any permanent damage like so many of us others do. I can't have any surgery because of other health issues but I don't think I would anyway after the band. I'll stay fat and happy thanks!

pineview01
on 5/19/14 1:07 pm - Davison, MI

WOW!  What a nightmare.  So sorry your had to go thru all this.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active