Hello

Phiphiley
on 5/13/14 3:39 pm - United Kingdom

Hi, I had my Lap band fitted 3 days ago and would be grateful for any advice/support as I feel very scared and alone. The only people who know are my Son, Daughter in law and Sister in law who have been very supportive. Unfortunately in the UK weight loss surgery is very much frowned on. I am sticking to the rules but am having terrible hunger pangs is this normal ? I wold appreciate any advice or guidance. Thank you

Kate -True Brit
on 5/14/14 3:00 am - UK

Well I'm not sure it is frowned on! All the weight loss people I know here in the UK  have had plenty of support! It's not as common as in the US but there are support groups around. I have met quite a lot of banded Brits! Which hospital did you go to?

Hunger pangs are not unusual. Some surgeons put some saline in during the op, some don't. But it is quite common for people to get very little help from the band until after several fills. 

All you can do is stick to your doctor's plan. Don't worry about quantity, just keep sipping away at whatever liquids you are allowed. 

The first few weeks or months can be hard for some! 

Because we use different brands, measure in stones, have different dress sizes, it can be difficult sometimes to get advice on this American site. We also seem to have different guidelines sometimes.  Feel free to send me a PM if you have any specific UK questions, 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Phiphiley
on 5/14/14 4:14 am - United Kingdom

Thank you very much for your reply Kate. My Doctor certainly does not agree with you and made that quite clear ! Today has been a little better for me, I am trying to keep busy too. I have been reading peoples success stories and am quite motivated. Oh well back to the sipping.

Kate -True Brit
on 5/14/14 4:19 am - UK
On May 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM Pacific Time, Phiphiley wrote:

Thank you very much for your reply Kate. My Doctor certainly does not agree with you and made that quite clear ! Today has been a little better for me, I am trying to keep busy too. I have been reading peoples success stories and am quite motivated. Oh well back to the sipping.

You mean about the hunger? He is on his own then! Until there is saline in the band it is like a loose belt. A very small number of people stop feeling hungry with just the band but in my eight years of banded life and very active participation on several boards, I can say with confidence that the majority of people need at least one full, even if some was put in during the op! 

This board is almost moribund. If you want a more active board, I can send you a link by PM - not allowed to post it on here. 

Kate -True Brit
on 5/14/14 4:23 am - UK
On May 14, 2014 at 11:14 AM Pacific Time, Phiphiley wrote:

Actually, reading again, did you mean your GP disapproves? The NHS is now basically, officially in favour. N.I.C.E. has produced a report saying surgery has a big part to play in the management of obesity. My own GPs (more than one as I moved area) have been totally supportive.  I was banded privately but have been taken over by the NHS and they have been fantastic. 

Hislady
on 5/14/14 3:59 am - Vancouver, WA

It's totally normal to still feel hungry until you have a few fills and you don't want to get them too fast either because it's easy to get too tight and not realize it. So much better to be a bit hungry and go slower. There is also a difference between head hunger and real hunger. I've often read that if tuna takes care of the hunger then it is real hunger but if you eat some tuna and it doesn't help then it's head hunger. I wish you the best and I'm sure Kate will be a huge help so take her up on her offers. She's a top notch person and won't do you wrong.

Phiphiley
on 5/14/14 4:05 am - United Kingdom

Thank you very much for your reply Hislady

Most Active