Having my Lap-Band taken out this week.

BekahC79
on 5/4/14 4:38 am - Dundalk, MD
Lap Band on 05/13/13

Hi everyone.  I was banded almost exactly a year ago.  Most of the past year has been very unpleasant.  I've been miserable and sick.  So much so that even though my band is now completely empty, I still get sick every day multiple times a day and sometimes can't even keep fluids down.  I've lost 77 pounds and am no longer overweight.  But it wasn't worth it.  I'm ready to have my life back.  I am going in Thursday to get my band removed.  I'm not doing any type of revision.  Just getting it removed.  I am looking for some feedback on recovery time and what your food intake was like the first few days/weeks after surgery.  I haven't been given much info from my doc as far as will I need to do fluids/soft foods for a while after the surgery or will I be able to eat normally immediately.  Any input you have is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Hislady
on 5/4/14 4:53 am - Vancouver, WA

I can only tell you about my personal experience, I recovered fairly fast but did spend 3 more days in the hospital because I had heart and lung issues besides the nasty band. I have to say I was very disappointed that my swallowing didn't improve right away and in my case (2 months later) it is still causing problems but I may also have GERD. I'm working on getting that under control now. It did take a couple of weeks before I felt really good but then I'm alot older than you (63 yrs)so you may snap back faster. My surgeon had me on liquids for 4 days and then soft food and reminded me to chew, chew, chew but he is pretty conservative. I hope this resolves all your problems but don't be surprised if you still end up with some damage from "the gift that just never stops giving"! Best of luck to you!

pineview01
on 5/4/14 3:02 pm - Davison, MI

Glad to hear you are getting the band removed.  When I got my band removed they handled it the same as getting it.  I really believe the surgeon believe that the band is "reversible" and when taken it out you are magical back to the same. The did it same day surgery and when I came out of surgery I was on a general diet and feed crackers.

In reality it is the same surgery.  I had used the same scrub soap before surgery even though I got no instruction.  The make the same cuts and go inside so you are exposed to the same germ/bacterial issues.  I also ended up following the same diet I was given after the lap band, just shorten each stage as the trauma of getting the band removed caused the same swelling.  

"Just getting it removed" is how they look at it too, treat it like you got it and allow yourself to recover form it just like you got it.  This is just as major!

If you want more if just ask or pm me.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active