The end of the Band??

kaytiebugs
on 3/18/14 11:36 am - Flowery Branch, GA

I'm just saying, a lapband-only website is of course going to be full of pro-lapband. Look around this forum. The number of people that have had complications and revisions is just mind boggling. And we don't hang out here just because it's anti-band and we hate our bands. We're here because we started our journeys on this site. The majority of people here 5+ years are either unhappy with it or have had revisions.

Bash away. I speak the truth. Just ask in the general discussion forum.

NanaB .
on 3/18/14 11:44 am

Katy,

If you REALLY look at the revision board, I don't think many Sleevers or Bypass people are THAT happy at 5 years either, the only difference is that Lap Banders CAN remove the band if they are not happy, but Sleevers can't get their stomach back, or Bypass can't always get their surgery taken down...

So of course you will find MORE lap banders getting their band removed or revised because they CAN....many others can't do nothing if they are not happy.

I am so happy that I have an OPTION...to remove mine if it gives me trouble down the road.

Good luck!

annie0039
on 3/19/14 1:42 am, edited 3/19/14 1:49 am

AMEN KAYTIEBugs!!!!!!!!!!!!! The TRUTH will set you FREE

We are called band bashers but Funny how SOME people that LOVE there bands Fear the same TRUTH if it's Negative ;)

QUOTE:

Katy,

If you REALLY look at the revision board, I don't think many Sleevers or Bypass people are THAT happy at 5 years either, the only difference is that Lap Banders CAN remove the band if they are not happy, but Sleevers can't get their stomach back, or Bypass can't always get their surgery taken down...

So of course you will find MORE lap banders getting their band removed or revised because they CAN....many others can't do nothing if they are not happy.

I'm always CURIOUS as well WHY Happy Banders Don't ever bother reading about other's experiences with the band, I have and Do Constantly!!  and to continue to SPEW that the band can be removed and POOF your without Problems just like before is HARMFUL and UNTRUE!!  I've talked to over 1300 ppl that had a band removed and it's NOT that SIMPLE!! All the things that the manufacturer States  WILL and DOES happen. Erosion, esophageal issues, auto immune disorders, sepsis, liver damage, gastroparesis, Barrett's esophagus, Multiple surgeries to FIX the  "removable" band. But that's Good point about "getting your stomach back" because if your banded you might end with a sleeve that you didn't count on .

pineview01
on 3/19/14 10:09 am - Davison, MI

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

pineview01
on 3/18/14 3:04 pm, edited 3/18/14 3:15 pm - Davison, MI

I would listen very carefully to what the surgeon from your COE is telling you. He has very good reason for steering people in another direction.  I doubt if the numbers he presented were bloated.  If anything they tend to under report and some surgeons don't even report complications but, blow them of as unfounded.  There is another options for people that don't want their intestines re-routed and want to take NSAIDS.  Having to take NSAIDS was how my DD got approved for the sleeve when the insurance was trying to say it was experimental.

For a surgeon to put the band in last place says a lot.  Surgeons make much more off the band. They get paid to place it, fill it, unfill it (many times for most) and additional surgery for replace/repair bands, tubing and ports. With the band I lived at the center for 3.5 years and with the sleeve after the first year I only go once a year and to the free support meetings.

The reason there are so many bands revising to DS, RNY and VSG ISN'T because they can.  I don't know anybody that LIKES to get surgery.  They are revising because they NEED to.  Some are having to pay cash to have the bands removed as their insurance won't allow another surgery.  Many insurances will pay to remove the band for major medical need but NOT for a revision.  Than some lose their insurance and can't afford the fills and unfills, $250 at our center each.  Yes there are those with the other WLS revising also.  You CAN revise with a sleeve easily to a DS or even a RNY if you needed to because restriction alone doesn't work for a person.  I don't know why anyone would want back the part of the stomach that stretches to hold tons of food and make almost all the hunger hormone.

Please research and trust what the surgeon has told you as he seems more informed than many.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Stephanie M.
on 3/19/14 1:45 am, edited 3/19/14 1:49 am

The band IS becoming obsolete.  Many hospitals are no longer even offering it as an option.  The primary problems with banding are the pressure it puts on the lower esophageal junction.

The band, by only allowing a small amount of food to move out of the pouch, puts upward pressure on the GEJ.  The esophagus, attempting to push food into the pouch, puts downward pressure on the GEJ.  Over time, this can cause nerve damage and food begins to be retained in the esophagus, feeling like its stuck.  This is a serious issue and the damage it does can be permanent and prevent the possibility of revision to anything but RNY or nothing at all.

The other issues with banding are the variables:

Surgical skill, diet, fill variables:

in about 3% of banded patients! the surgeon places the band incorrectly.  This is listed in Allergan's instructional manual from 2011.

Preop, post op diet progressions are widely varied from doctor to doctor, nutrionists and other professionals involved in managing Lapband patients.  Some progress to solids in a week or two, others over a several week progression.  Some say 3 meals, no snacking of any kind.  Others say 6 small meals per day.

Patients: anatomy can vary, as can one's tolerance of a foreign object. Compliance to diet, exercise and other lifestyle changes is required.

Post OP follow up and fills:  

Some Drs require monthly check ups for 6 months-year, others follow up at 1 month and then as needed.  This is especially true with patients who live far from their bariatric clinic.

Some practices are very aggressive with fills, others leave it up to the patient, asking a series of questions to determine if fill is appropriate.  Some are done under flouroscopy, others are not.  Some withdraw all fluid prior to filling, to check for a leak, check the color of the fill (for infectious material indicating a leak).  Others do not.

Doctors and other medical professionals outside the bariatric community have no clue about gastric banding.  If you present in the ER with chest pain, gastric pain or inability to swallow and tell them you have a band, they will most likely not know how to treat you or even unfill your band.  

Partial gastrectomy is an old procedure that all GI surgeons can do.  It's often done to treat ulcers, cancer and other gastric diseases.  It's been modified, in that the part of the stomach removed is specific, with a banana shaped stomach remaining with the fundus completely removed.  When you show up at the ER with those same symptoms, they're going to treat you exactly the way they would any other patient with those symptoms.

You don't want to alter or remove any of your anatomy?...your anatomy will be permanently altered with any bariatric surgery, including banding.  This is because we tend to develop scar tissue and adhesions with ANY surgery and especially around implanted devices.  You read of tender ports, years after surgery, it's scar tissue.  Bands, because of scar tissue can become adhered to other organs; liver, spleen and pancreas mostly.  As you lose, and the fat between your port and band becomes less and less, the tubing can strangulate an intestinal loop.  The scar tissue under the band can cause you to be tighter and tighter long after your most recent fill.  I know scores of people who've lost their entire stomach, parts of their stomach, esophagus, intestines, etc due to late, 1-5 years out, complications that they did not cause.

If you have a hiatal hernia, it must be repaired for wls to proceed.  This must be done a certain way or it will doom you to complications.  Ask if pledgeted sutures will be used (they should not).  Ask which type of repair will be done.  Nissen Fundoplication is not compatable with banding, sleeve or DS.  

Many banders decide to revise to a second wls, usually sleeve or RNY.  Sadly, many can not, due to damage, thinned tissue, etc.  

As fewer and fewer places do bands, available after care will be scarcer.  

With a VSG, once you're out of the immediate post op period, you shouldn't need aftercare, other than your annual check up.  Many of those who have had band then sleeve say the sleeve does everything the band promised to do.

Banding isn't least invasive in the long run...

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

pineview01
on 3/19/14 10:14 am - Davison, MI

Well stated Stephanie!

Stephanie M.
on 3/19/14 10:30 am, edited 3/19/14 2:11 pm

Thank you!  I've become very well versed in the ways of the band, unfortunately.

As it turns out, I'm one of the 3% who's band wasn't where it was supposed to be.  It was above the GEJ, just under the diaphragm.  It is supposed to be placed 2-3cm below the junction.  It was covered in adhesions and had a ring of scar tissue under it, constricting my esophagus.  This is much like what happens when it's around the stomach, just a much more sensitive organ.  

I just got the surgical report last week and was blown away...I never had a chance!  I still have achalasia, but it's much improved over pre removal.  

Just another gift from my minimally invasive, non anatomy altering WLS.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

pineview01
on 3/20/14 11:04 am - Davison, MI

Do you really believe it is only 3%?  Seem to be a lot of people come here in your shoes.

Stephanie M.
on 3/20/14 11:13 am

3% is the number given by Allergan as misplaced.  My band was found to be above the gastro esophageal junction rather than 2-3 cm below the GEJ and covered in adhesions + "a thick rind of scar tissue" was found under the band around the distal esophagus.  I never had a chance of keeping my band long term.

Most Active