Gastric Sleeve vrs Lap Band please HELP!!!!

poet_kelly
on 3/19/14 6:45 pm - OH

I wouldn't take advice about which surgery to have from psychologist.  The fact that she thinks you're likely to lose that much weight just proves to me she doesn't know what the studies about the band say.  Most people only lose about half their excess weight, if that.  And what about the high complication rate?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MsBatt
on 3/20/14 2:32 am
On March 17, 2014 at 8:31 AM Pacific Time, redapples wrote:

I had my mind made up to have the Gastric Sleeve but after talking to my psychologist she think I will do better with the Lap Band. I want to lose 170 lbs. She thinks I can lose 210 lbs. by having the band, she said" because it will give me restrictions over a period of time, the sleeve doesn't." Do you have any regret getting the band or you happy with the decision you made Please tell me. I have to make my final decision in April I'm looking to have my WLS in June!!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and reply.

HAPPY WEIGHT LOSS

I strongly urge you to visit all the surgical forums, including the Revision forum. I especially urge you to visit the DS forum---at your weight, the DS (duodenal switch) is the form of WLS most likely to get you to and keep you at a healthy weight. The Band is the least likely to do that for you.

The DS has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass that will cause you to always and forever only absorb a fraction of the calories you eat---about 50% of the protein, about 60% of the complex carbs, and only 20% of the fats. This is why the DS has such good long-term stats, and such good stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.

As for your psychologist's recommendation---does he or she HAVE a Band? Any form of WLS? If so, for how long? Frankly, *I* think he or she's talking out their arse.

pineview01
on 3/21/14 12:32 pm - Davison, MI

I'm glad to see you came to try to help.  But, they started another thread saying they decided on the band.  I agree the DS would be a good choice for this person.  Or at least the sleeve with the option to complete the DS down the road.  

Also this thread has really fractured in two different directions.  It is to bad we can't address the OP in this one and the people with early rejections in another.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Stephanie M.
on 3/21/14 1:22 pm

Yes, the thread has been hijacked

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Most Active