Does your Insurance pay for FIlls/unfills

Pamela B.
on 3/14/14 1:45 pm - AR
VSG on 08/14/15

Im just wondering if I will need to prepay or can I pay as I go or how often will I need to get filled/unfilled

Hislady
on 3/15/14 4:31 am - Vancouver, WA

Glad you are asking because that can change in the blink of an eye. My original insurance would have covered all fills and unfills BUT my hubby's co. changed our insurance after retirement and they didn't cover anything related to bariatric surgeries. So I ended up having to pay $225 for every fill and unfill which was one reason I had mine unfilled completely a couple of years ago. I recently had it removed because of the pain and difficulty swallowing that I was having and don't know if that will be covered or not but I just couldn't handle the pain anymore. So it can get VERY spendy and it seems to always be when you are having trouble with getting restriction, a couple of fills and unfills can put you well into debt in no time. This is one of the bigger drawbacks of the band.

It totally varies as to how many it takes to get restriction, some of us never do and play the fill unfill game for years. Others get just a few and are set for years like Kate and Bette. So that is hard to give you a definative answer.

People call me a band basher but really I am justt sharing what I personally have learned thru hard experience over the 6 years I had a band and I would never advise anyone to get a band, that is my experience. There are far more effective and easier to deal with surgeries that will give you much better weight loss.

Karen R.
on 3/15/14 7:17 am - Peoria, AZ

mine did and they also paid to have it taken out 5 yrs later due to complications. don't get the band.

crystal M.
on 3/15/14 9:02 am - Joliet, IL

The insurance I had when I got my band paid for fills and unfills.  I just had to pay for the office visit copay...$25.  Now I have to pay $200 but luckily I am in maintenance and only go once a a year for a check up. 

pineview01
on 3/16/14 3:33 pm, edited 3/18/14 3:45 pm - Davison, MI

Just before I got mine removed, the insurance came out with Once in a life time WLS and a limit of fills/un-fills of 28.  I was close to that when the band came out.  Our center charged $250 each.  I had a fill and two un-fills all in one week due to problems.  That happened three times and than they only put in .2-.25 at a time in a 10cc band.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

kathkeb
on 3/17/14 12:57 pm

My insurance did not cover my surgery or fills.

I pay 100.00 for my fills and Un-fills ... And had about 8 adjustments while I was losing (over the first 18 months) and then one per year after that.

Kath

kaytiebugs
on 3/18/14 11:44 am - Flowery Branch, GA

The insurance that paid for my WLS paid for fills. BUT now my WLS is considered a pre-existing condition and fills aren't covered with my new insurance.

Most Active