The New Improved LapBand

Girl_On_Fire
on 3/5/14 11:17 pm

I am 135 pounds over my ideal weight. I have hypothyroidism, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, and had gall bladder disease(but had it removed a long time ago). This is the highest weight I have ever been in my life. I am a single mom of three kids and reality hit recently. I need to do this for me and for them. I have been considering WLS for about a year. 

I have been reading a lot of issues with the older LapBands. From what I have researched the new improved Allergen LapBand doesn't have the issues of erosion and clamps differently than the previous ones. Does anyone have any advice? I am looking at doing the surgery in about 3 months. Is their anyone out there that has had a lap band recently put in? Also I keep reading over and over throughout many posts that as long as you watch the type of food going in and exercise and do your periodic checkups it will be successful. I have not read one post where someone has done those things religously and not kept the weight off. I am new to the forum so take it easy on me ;o) I really would like some feedback. Thank you in advance!! Have a blessed day.

Stephanie M.
on 3/6/14 1:11 am

Hi there, glad to see you're gathering information for your upcoming surgery.  You will hear from a few vets here that have bands, some for well over 5 years with few or no complications.  Hopefully you'll hear from those, other than myself, who've had the opposite experience.

Adjustable Gastric Bands (AGB) whether Lapband or Realize band work in pretty much the same way.  They slow down and reduce the amount of food you can eat.  It won't stop you from eating foods that are liquified by chewing; chips, cookies, liquid calories, etc.  You will diet with the band, eating about 1/2 cup of food per meal, protein first, veggies second and starches if you are able.  Most people find that they get in about 700 calories/day +- comfortably.  You'll be expected to weigh, measure, log every bite/sip that passes your lips.  You must cut food into m&m sized pieces and chew 15-20 times before swallowing.

For many, the band works fine for a year or more, then problems start.  Difficulty swallowing, night time acid reflux and regurgitation of food becomes an issue.  You go in for fills, unfills, looking for the green zone, kind of like goldilocks.  The problem is that most banded people never find the green zone.  Many of us, months or years after our last adjustment, develop a sensation of being too tight.  It's esophageal damage happening, and in many cases is irreversible and permanent and can prevent you from revising to a different surgery post removal.  That's what happened with me.  Absolutely compliant, lost a good deal of weight, but had my band removed last June after my esophagus stopped working.  I could barely eat yogurt or drink anything at the end.  I cannot revise due to this damage.

Lapband is a high pressure system. The band creates a great deal of pressure on the lower esophageal sphincter. The esophagus, in attempting to move food into the pouch, puts tremendous pressure on the LES, as well. Over time this causes damage and the sphincter fails to open. This creates a feeling of being "stuck" but your food hasn't even made it to the pouch. This situation is becoming more and more common in the banded population and causes permanent long term damage that cannot be reversed. This is what is called "difficulty swallowing" on the disclosure. It's actually band induced achalasia. Often on the various wls forums or social media groups, people will speak of random tightness, difficulty with swallowing yogurt, liquids, etc, regurgitation of meals despite cutting their food, chewing thouroghly and eating only 1/2 cup meals.

The high pressure is the problem with the band.  It's the very essence of how it works.  It's also why so many of us now have damaged esophagus.

The sleeve has more initial complications from the procedure, but many fewer late complications.  Yes, they remove 85% of your stomach.  It's also high pressure, but not nearly so much as a band.  If you want a procedure that restricts your portions, both of these will do that, but you could end up with a sleeve anyway down the road, if your band fails or causes complications.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Girl_On_Fire
on 3/6/14 1:39 am

Thank you for the information. Every little bit is good to know. The good the bad and the ugly!! I need to be informed of every aspect. In regards to the buckle I meant the old band actually could wear into the stomach and the newer one is engineered differently, where that will not occur. I did meet a woman(at a lapband semniar) who got an original band(not lapband) 20 years ago overseas. It doesn't have the saline fill or anything like that and she actually will have a number of surgeries to go thru. Her device cut into her stomach and has grown around the band. I feel horrible for her. She is contemplating on doing the lapband. Also by diet and exercise she has kept the weight off. Thank you for your sharing your story. I have read a lot of stories of people getting the sleeve after lapband. I appreciate your help tremendously.

pineview01
on 3/6/14 11:39 am - Davison, MI

Sorry to inform you but the "NEW" lower pressure band has been around a while, they were out in '08 already any way that I know of and they are still eroding into and thru the stomach.  The original non fill band, the older 4cc lap band and the new 10 & 14 are all able to erode thru the stomach.  They newer ones also seem to slip more the older once which comes along with its own complications.

You should check out a seminar that covers all the 4 major surgeries for all the pros and cons of all the surgeries.  Many surgeons have stopped doing the bands including Mayo and the US ARMY (at least the post that have been reported from)

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Stephanie M.
on 3/6/14 1:18 am

Just want to add, the "new band" may have an improved buckle, but the buckle is rarely the cause of band failure.  In the 5+ years I've been on this forum (back when there would be 30-100 new posts/day) I've heard of 2 coming unbuckled.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Kate -True Brit
on 3/6/14 1:35 am - UK

I am a very successful and happy banded person. But I have to warn you that what you say is a bit simplistic. I am afraid it is not as easy as it sounds. I do not for one second regret my band and would do it again tomorrow. In real life, I know many who are as happy and successful as I am so the points I am about to make are not from an anti-band person! 

It takes time to get the band to the correct level and not everyone achieves this. Some for unknown physical reasons, some because they expected too much.

it should never stop you eating, you can always eat more. But, if it works as it should, you feel satisfied with less. Many people e oen't it to do more! It doesn't! 

as with any weight loss surgery things can go wrong. With the band there are two distinct causes; ones beyond the control of the patient and ones the patient could have avoided. Stephanie followed the rules and had severe problems. I don't always follow the rules and am almost eight years out and doing fine! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Girl_On_Fire
on 3/6/14 1:43 am

Yes I do realize that it may be a bit simplistic, I am learning and gathering as much as I can. I am determined to do this!! I want to make sure that I go into this more informed and educated. I appreciate your post. Thank you.

Girl_On_Fire
on 3/6/14 2:48 am

Hi Kate,

I noticed that you had a leak repair.............have you talked with many people that this has happened to?

TIA.

Kate -True Brit
on 3/6/14 3:00 am - UK

Not personally. But they are one of the possible complications. They are usually around the port area; sometimes caused by incompetent fill nurses putting a needle into the tubing instead of the port. Mine was half way along the tubing and was caused by my weight loss! The doctor said because there was so much less  internsl fat, the tubing rubbed against hard muscle. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Girl_On_Fire
on 3/6/14 3:18 am

Thanks. Did they have to replace the entire band?

Most Active