Does the patient fail the surgery, or the surgery fail the patient? (re-post from another board)

Iam_with_the_Band
on 2/5/14 1:06 am

Bands so fail people and People can fail their Band.  I saw it often in my support group. We would meet for a dinner and I watched those who complained constantly how they weren't losing weight - ate.  I saw them with their poor choices.  My Band worked for as long as it could and then it had to be removed.  I was extremely fortunate to have lost all of my weight with the Band.

I do think you owe Kate an apology.  she didn't say anything that you accused her of saying.  She's always been a very very supportive and kind person!  Please read carefully before going off half-****ed and blaming someone for something that they never said.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Hislady
on 1/28/14 4:11 am - Vancouver, WA

Well put Kate! I think far more needs to be done with counseling before most people have any weight loss surgery. I knew ahead of time that exercise was not going to be happening for me with my lungs and was assured that I would still lose because I would only be able to eat half as much food. So I knew it would take longer but it still didn't help. My point is I guess that both happen and it can depend on the right surgery choice. I now know I never should have gotten a band but that was my only choice at the time so I got what I could. I should have just stayed fat and somewhat healthy or gotten a permanent type surgery.

pineview01
on 1/28/14 9:09 am - Davison, MI

This was posted on the home page here at OH before also.  A good article.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Dev *.
on 1/30/14 1:24 am - Austin, TX

I haven't been around as much lately, so I miss stuff like that. Plus I never go to the main page!

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/30/14 11:33 pm - UK

How's it going with the sleeve, Dev? Weight loss looks good!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

pineview01
on 2/4/14 6:41 am, edited 2/4/14 6:59 am - Davison, MI

Her numbers are almost identical to mine!  So is her time frame.  She just had her band a couple years longer.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active