Disappointed

jalivia2
on 1/24/14 4:45 am - Spring, TX

My conversion from lap band to gastric bypass has been denied because as of 1/1/2014 my job opted not to include that in their policy with BCBSTX.  I have to get myself into the mindset that I really need to focus on making myself happy with this band (even though it tortures me) because self pay is not an option right now.

After I'm less bitter it will definitely be time to work really hard to make this the best situation that I possibly can!

Kate -True Brit
on 1/24/14 5:06 am - UK

Sorry things haven't worked out for you.  You don't say what has gone wrong. If the band is causing physical problems (you use the word torture and that implies a very high level of pain) you shouldn't leave it. Further permanent  damage could be caused. But if it is just that the band is not helping you, people on here may be able to offer suggestions. But you need to give more details before that can happen. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Hislady
on 1/24/14 6:50 am - Vancouver, WA

My band has been empty for over 2 years because it was causing heartburn but is fine now that it is empty. I've been able to continue to lose slowly but it has been an effort. I have the same problem insurance doesn't cover and my other health issues don't allow for surgery to be done so I'm stuck where I am.

jalivia2
on 1/24/14 7:56 am - Spring, TX

Thanks to both of you for your replies. The band has cause really bad reflux, especially at night. Also, lean protein is almost impossible to keep down. My old surgeon was adamant about not wanting to adjust my fill amount. 

I began working with a new surgeon in order to get a revision to bypass. Since that is not going to happen, I think I will try to start over with him and see where the lap band journey takes me a second time. I can't afford to pay cash for a revision, but I can afford lap band maintenance! :)

Bette B.
on 1/24/14 8:33 am

My old surgeon was adamant about not wanting to adjust my fill amount. 

Adamant about not wanting to put MORE in or about not wanting to empty it?

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

jalivia2
on 1/24/14 8:39 am - Spring, TX

Both. In his opinion, I have reached my sweet spot.  

Bette B.
on 1/24/14 9:00 am

If you're not too tight, what is his explanation for the reflux? 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Cauline
on 1/26/14 6:36 am

I'm sorry you're having these problems. I was too. I found LCHF, low carb, high fat, adequate protein and have lost 25 lbs in the past 74 days. My reflux is gone and I feel so much better. I wish I didn't have this band, but I'm making the best of it. :)  Good luck.

jalivia2
on 1/24/14 9:29 am - Spring, TX

He downplays it. I didn't know what else to do to make him understand, so I stuck around until I could find a new doctor. I focused on a revision with him because I was frustrated and wanted it gone. Now we're going to focus on adjustments to make it work

Hislady
on 1/24/14 12:27 pm - Vancouver, WA

Sounds like you are certainly too tight and need at least a partial unfill and maybe even a total unfill to let your stomach rest after being too tight for so long. It shouldn't cause heartburn or make your life miserable, just make you aware of eating too much. Good luck! Hope the new doc listens to you.

Most Active