cheapest place to get a lapband in Ohio or Michigan

neicey
on 1/18/14 12:28 pm - TOLEDO, OH

I am considering a lap band over a bypass and will have to self pay so I am looking for the the least expensive surgeon in Ohio or Michigan but want someone who is experienced in revisions.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/18/14 6:15 pm - UK

Please do not just go for the cheapest! For any surgery, including band over bypass!  The band, just like any surgery, requires a skilled surgeon but even more than other surgeries, it needs an excellent after-care package. If you are self pay, you need to factor in the cost of fills.  You do say you want someone with experience, but do also read the post-op contract very carefully. You may need fills for over a year, not to mention possible de-fills.

if you want to hear personal experiences of BOB ( band over bypass), Heathercross is always happy to support people. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

heathercross
on 1/18/14 11:58 pm - New York, NY

Hi.  No offense but why would you want the cheapest anything. Your first surgery failed bc of either you or your surgeon, why would you consider going to the "cheapest, best deal". My doctors don't like to operate on other doctors mistakes (i.e. revisions) so you need someone who has experience, a bit of a "God" complex and is GOOD.  And none of those things means cheap. If you cannot get this approved by insurance, you need to fight it or you need to save up but you do not need to go cheap.  

I had my BOB in Manhattan with Dr Marina Kurian - yes that Kurian, Al Rokers surgeon.  My surgery was 100% covered although I have a 10% co-pay which was like $2K.  However, I lost my job right after the surgery, so, I had to pay for cobra ($600/mo) for almost a year and now, my new insurance doesn't cover fu care.  Its $200 cash each time I need a fill.  They cover the appt but not the fill.  

If you don't want a 3rd surgeon, get a world class surgeon.

Heather

neicey
on 1/19/14 1:56 am - TOLEDO, OH

No offense...but I'm not looking for the cheapest or second rate surgeon, I'm looking for prices. I could spend tons of time going to every information meeting, spending $100 or more for the initial consult just to find out the cost of the surgery because most of them will not quote a price without going through all that.

I was hoping that this forum would provide an insight because frankly doing a search on the internet only gives me information on a place in mexico and isreal. I really wanted to go the cheapest I would go that route.

I'm not trying to be nasty just trying to clarify what I'm looking for.

I have also had a consult with two surgeons in Michigan and both of them I had to attend their info meetings, then a consult that charged both over $100 just to get  a price.

Nic M
on 1/19/14 2:49 am

You may want to try posting on the Michigan and Ohio forums to see if anyone there has information for you. Perhaps it would help you narrow down your search at least to a manageable level?

I don't think it's out of the ordinary to be charged for the informational seminars these days, unfortunately. I wish they would be up front and simply tell the patient the full price before having to sit through the rigamarole. But it doesn't seem to be the way it works anymore. It's crazy to have to pay $100 to find out whether you can afford a surgeon or not. 

You'll also want to take into consideration how much it will cost to have the band removed eventually. It's not a lifetime product, so it will most likely need to come out in less than a decade. That can get rather pricey, as well. Maybe speak to the surgeon you end up choosing about contingency plans. Make sure the fills and unfills are included in the price (or aren't incredibly pricey) before undergoing surgery. Those really add up if you don't have insurance. 

Best of luck to you. I hope you find what you're looking for. 

neicey
on 1/19/14 3:54 am - TOLEDO, OH

Thank you....:) Now that was super helpful.

Nic M
on 1/19/14 3:58 am

There's a thread on the Ohio forum about revision surgeons in Cleveland. I don't know if that's near you or not. But it looks like there's a lot of good info in the thread, anyway!

Kate -True Brit
on 1/19/14 4:40 am - UK

Sorry, I didn't mean to be unhelpful, I was misled by you saying you wanted the least expensive; made me assume that meant you wanted the cheapest!  And Heathercross is probably your best source of BOB information on here. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

heathercross
on 1/23/14 8:55 pm - New York, NY

$33,633.45 - Just looked up my EOB.  That is how much 23 hours in a hospital, anesthesia and a BOB cost in Manhattan.  If a surgeon charges you to attend an info session he/she is a money, grubing wXXXe.  No respectable surgeon charges for an info session. A consult yes, an info session no.  

pineview01
on 1/28/14 10:30 am - Davison, MI

I'm in MI but, ours won't do the BOB.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active