I am Considering LapBand and Need Feedback

jjallo
on 1/20/14 5:44 am

Hello Everyone, 

I am considering my options for WLS and LapBand was originally # 1 on my list. However, after a visit to the surgeons office, there seem to be many complications with this procedure that I was not originally aware of. Things such as slippage, I see a lot of post about nerve damage that causes heart palpitations, esophageal stretching etc. As well as he mentioned he is removing more bands than he is putting in a week. That seems a little scary to me. 

I would love to hear some feedback on the good, the bad, and the ugly from you on your experience from both new and experienced candidates. The sleeve is second on my list but I wanted to get more info on LapBand as it seems less invasive and less permanent should something go wrong. 

I look forward to everyone's input. 

Thanks so much!

JJallo

Stephanie M.
on 1/20/14 8:11 am

What procedure is your surgeon recommending for you?  I cannot recommend gastric banding after my experience with it and the experience of so many others.  I have permanent damage and cannot revise as a result.  I have damage to my vagus nerve that's affecting my heart and esophageal motility.  I wish I had waited and gotten a VSG, but Medicare only covered RNY and band when I had my surgery.  Do your research, check out some social media groups and wls sites.  When you see people writing about being unable to swallow liquids, months or years after their last fill, they are most likely developing complications.  It seems that once things start going in the direction of regurgitating food, getting too tight without a fill, etc, the end result is removal.  Best of luck to you. Research, research, research.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

annie0039
on 1/20/14 9:09 am

Listen to your Surgeon!!!!  If he is removing  more than he  is placing   there's a REASON!!  They are Not long term,   Nor are they reversible. Removable  but COMPLICATIONS  are permanent. Do Research, get a WLS that you won't Have to revise from in 5 years. Good luck

Kate -True Brit
on 1/20/14 7:18 pm - UK

I and most of the banded people I have known in real life are happy with banding, many of us vets with years of banding. But we are all strangers on the internet, recounting experiences of which you have no way of knowing the accuracy. 

Read our stories, yes. But listen to your doctor. Remember there are different views and perspectives. Here there is a Lapband Failure board. On another well-known US forum, there is a  VSG Complications board. The revisions board here has many people unhappy with bypass!

listen to your doctor. If you are undecided ask a second doctor! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Cheryl N.
on 1/21/14 2:06 am - Des Moines, WA

Run from the band! Don't do it!  Look into RNY, DS, or Sleeve.

I had the band and started having problems 7 months out.  Had it taken out and revised to RNY and am very happy.  I regret the band big time.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Most Active