New Side Effect of My Band

Stephanie M.
on 1/16/14 6:14 am, edited 1/16/14 11:27 pm

As many of you know, I had my band removed last June due to it causing some serious and miserable complications, one of which was frequent palpitations that my cardiologist attributed to vagus nerve irritation.  After band and scar tissue removal, the palpitations seemed to resolve.  Just before Christmas they returned with a vengeance, keeping me up at night, causing me to feel lightheaded on occasion and causing a lot of anxiety.  I recently did a 7 day test wearing a holter monitor and have been Dx with PVCs and more scary SVTs, a type of tachycardia.  This means I'm at risk of sudden cardiac arrest.  I had no heart problems pre-band,  and still have achalasia symptoms at times.  

Vagus nerve damage is downplayed by the bariatric community.  I've seen so many of my Lapband friends suffer terribly from vagus nerve issues long after removal.   I only hope that for future band patients, there is full disclosure of the risks of this device

I haven't been on here much except to check in on old friends...I'm glad Lisa O is doing better after over 4 months in the hospital/rehabilitation center; sad to hear of Vickie's passing.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Nic M
on 1/16/14 9:55 am

I'm sorry to hear this, Steph. 

I agree with you about the EXTREME importance of knowing how the Vagus nerves are affected by the band. We're both living proof that the band is not "reversible." The damage the band does is very real and very life altering. 

I'm sorry that you are having this issue. I hope you're well, otherwise. 

annie0039
on 1/16/14 10:34 am, edited 1/16/14 10:34 am

So  SORRY Steph that your experiencing  even More band complications :( I hear it DAILY in the the other group  I Admin. I  wait for the  day it's  off the Market!! Unfortunately they continue to downplay the complications, and the TRUE higher   stats.....Best of Luck

Stephanie M.
on 1/16/14 10:55 am

Thanks....my husband  picked up my new Rx, another $25 co pay :(

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Hislady
on 1/16/14 11:51 am - Vancouver, WA

So sorry to hear you have even more problems, that's just not right! If only we knew then what we know now and weren't lied to. Hang in there kiddo!

Stephanie M.
on 1/16/14 1:26 pm
On January 16, 2014 at 7:51 PM Pacific Time, Hislady wrote:

So sorry to hear you have even more problems, that's just not right! If only we knew then what we know now and weren't lied to. Hang in there kiddo!

Thanks, Karen!

Kate -True Brit
on 1/16/14 6:47 pm, edited 1/16/14 9:56 pm - UK

Steph, so sorry to hear of all this. It is now clear to everyone, even happy bandsters like me, that there are many complications as a result of banding that were either not known or not talked about even five years ago. I am so sorry this has happened to you. I wish you all the very best. 

just to point out though, that Lisa's problem have not been attributed to her band but to her RNY surgery. I don't know all the details but I believe her previous band surgery was not a factor.  And I was not aware Vicki's colon (the cause of her death) was damaged by the band, Not downplaying band problems, just that your post seemed to imply their specific problems were caused by banding.  I may be totally wrong here, like you I can only go on what has been posted on here.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Stephanie M.
on 1/16/14 11:25 pm

Thanks Kate.  I didn't mean to imply that Vickie and Lisa's issues were band related, just explaining why I'm not posting here much.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/16/14 11:31 pm, edited 1/16/14 11:32 pm - UK

I understand that totally. You have had a rotten time and I wish you all the best. 

Thank you for editing your original post so it no longer reads that way! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

claudiaes
on 1/17/14 12:30 am - ddo, Canada
VSG on 11/18/13

it's funny you mentioned that about your heart , I had my band removed almost 9 weeks ago and had a vsg revision and 2 weeks later I had a heard attack and I'm 26 yo , I was 200 lbs and in good health and they couldn't figure out why I had a heart attack and I'm beginning to think is because of the band because I was having palpitations before they took it out but i just brushed it off as nothing.

Most Active