2WK POST OP QUESTIONS!!

Jynndu
on 1/14/14 2:30 am

Hello Everyone,

I am at the 2wk. mark for the post op of my lap band. The first week was tough from also having a hernia repair but it seems the 2nd week has been my struggle. I am CONSTANTLY hungry and my stomach is always growling. I am not sure if I should eat to feel full or stick to my guns and refrain (which makes me feel ill). At this time my current eating schedule is as follows:

1 20g. protein bar at around 9am (chewed into a mush)

1 can cream of chicken soup (low sodium) at around noon

1 20g. protein bar at around 3pm

and when I get home for dinner I normally have a sugar free pudding cup, 1 sugar free popsicle, and a myoplex protein shake (11oz) 6pm

So far I still feel hungry in between meals and try to drink water or tea to help. I believe with everything I am eating I consume about 600-700 calories. I have lost 30lbs. total to the date (starting from preop diet).... but feel I am eating to much. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!!! I go for my first fill on Jan. 29th.

I must also mention that I have not had the feeling of being sick from eating to much and have not physically thrown up yet. I sometimes might feel a little tightness in my chest at which point I stop eating/drinking and wait about 5-10 minutes before trying to eat or drink anything again.  

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!! 

Kate -True Brit
on 1/14/14 3:49 am - UK

At two weeks your priority is healing. Don't worry too much about calories. I don't mean go mad! Just stick to whatever you are allowed by your doctor  ( protein bars sound rather unusual at this stage!) but have it a bit more often, or have a bigger helping. 

Hunger is normal at this stage for many people. It's a difficult few weeks.  Far from eating too much, IMO you are not eating enough. Banded people usually eat around 1000-1300 calories; people differ but that is the most common range. So most people eat getting on for twice the number of calories you eat! People with the sleeve and RNY eat less because of the nature if their surgery. This is why we lose more slowly, averaging a 1-2lbs a week.

But don't  be tempted to advance the type of food you eat without your doctor's agreement. Food with texture, however well chewed, causes the stomach to nice as digestion takes place and that can put strain on incompletely healed internal sutures,

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Jynndu
on 1/14/14 5:21 am

Thanks for the comment! I did go out of the diet restrictions a bit with the protein bars, but it was getting very difficult to stomach the shakes (perhaps I should try several different kinds to see if any taste better). I wasn't getting the protein I needed and thought the bars (well chewed) could be better.... but lesson learned.

I was looking into the sleeve but found that several personal friends and family that were sleeved actually gained a large portion of their weight back. The stomach just stretched back to its original size over the years. But, I also know of plenty of people who have had wonderful success with the sleeve. Anyways, I appreciate your help and comments!!!! 

Kate -True Brit
on 1/14/14 4:45 pm - UK

I hate shakes and, with my nut's blessing, never had them.  Just buy or make a basic soup, any flavour. Add a can of chick peas (high protein), blend until smooth. Filling, tasty. 

Jynndu
on 1/15/14 2:10 am

I've been doing pretty well with the variety of soups. The past few days I have been taking a mexican chili broth and mixing with strained chicken noodle and it actually tastes pretty good! I love spicy foods and mexican flavors so it has become a new fave. of mine :)

Kate -True Brit
on 1/15/14 2:23 am - UK

You might want to blend in lentils/soya/ chick peas. That way you get your protein in too. Kidney beans didn't work for me at your stage as they added protein but didn't blend smooth enough. 

Jynndu
on 1/15/14 2:36 am

I will def. try those! thanks... its been hard trying to keep things "fresh" and any and all ideas or recipes are greatly appreciated :)

Most Active