Severe Chest Pain

banded31413
on 1/14/14 11:45 pm

Hello, I woke up this past Sunday with excrutiating pain in my chest and left arm.  The pain was awful, and as the day went on it radiated up my neck and jaw.  I got so scared that I went to the ER.  They ruled out everything and really could not give me an answer for why this happened.  I attribute it to my lap band.  At this point, I am not sure what to do....I had my surgery in Mexico.  Has this happened to anyone before?  What information can you share?

Jynndu
on 1/15/14 2:14 am

I also had HORRIBLE pain in my neck and shoulder. My surgeon explained that when the lap band procedure is done, they must inject air into your system to make room. The gasses travel up into your neck and shoulder and cause a lot of pain for a while until the air is able to be relieved. 

I hope you feel better soon!

banded31413
on 1/15/14 2:34 am

The thing is I had my procedure done almost a year ago, this was new, out of the blue...

Hislady
on 1/15/14 3:04 am - Vancouver, WA

Could be pain from the vagus nerve which is in the stomach area and what is supposed to signal being full but it can also cause pain from the band. Myself I would have the band checked to make sure it hadn't slipped.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/15/14 3:49 am - UK

If the hospital have ruled out heart etc., then I agree with Hislady. Get your band checked.  The vagus nerve  is right above the band and it is what is known as a wandering nerve. Not in the sense of moving! But in that it radiates all over the place, including the left shoulder.  So it may be a band related issue. 

Hope it hurts less nw and that you find the cause. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

sfnativewm
on 1/15/14 4:14 am

I too ended up in the ER 3 different times with the same problem!  SCARY!!!!!indecision  Finally the Kaiser drs told me this was not uncommon with some band patients.

I can recommend a heating pad, gas x and rest, but truthfully my body is finally starting to have energy and I feel more alive since the band came out.

Stay on liquids when this happens, and don't be afraid to go back to the ER when you have such pain!!   we are not doctors and better to be safe than sorry!!

I wish you well!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

banded31413
on 1/15/14 11:23 pm

It was extremely scary....I thought I might have been having a heart attack!  This has made me think about having my band out also.  What was the reason that you had yours removed?

sfnativewm
on 1/16/14 3:15 am

The heart attack feeling the 3rd time in the ER did me in.  They had to really dope me up for the pain.    enough was enough and my dr agreed.    I know lots of band people that succeeded, it just was not a match for me.  Good luck!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/14 2:56 am - Hockessin, DE
Revision on 03/01/12

I've had this happen numerous times and have been told by my surgeon that I am super sensitive to the band.  It happens when I swell around the band (there are many reasons I swell around the band) and the only thing to do is go on clear liquids for 48 hours, if that doesn't work then they take all the fluid out of my band.  Hope this helps.

Nic M
on 1/16/14 5:09 am

I've watched SO many people suffer with this over the past decade.  The band causes referred left shoulder and chest pain in TONS of people. It's one of the most common complaints with gastric banding. It doesn't go away in most cases. And in fact, it can get MUCH worse the longer the band is left in to irritate the Vagus nerves. I'm over 8 years out from band removal and I still have pain from the damage it caused. 

I wish you the best. I'm sorry you're experiencing it. 

Most Active