lapband 7 years or more

Bette B.
on 12/25/13 11:00 am

Don't hate me because the band makes me sick.

Why on earth would we "hate" you for having problems with the band???

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Kate -True Brit
on 12/25/13 12:11 pm, edited 12/25/13 12:13 pm - UK

Why would anyone hate you? If you read both my post and Bette's post, we say clearly that for some people things go wrong and that it is no fault of their own. I am so sorry you are one of them, but the idea that I might  "hate" you because of that is absurd.

(somehow posted this twice so deleted one of them)

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Kate -True Brit
on 12/25/13 12:12 pm - UK
pineview01
on 12/25/13 12:19 pm - Davison, MI

Don't hate you at all.  Was right there with you.  I revised to the sleeve and had turkey for three meals today, and no throwing up.  Yeah.  I don't eat a lot at a time.  I chew better than pre WLS but more normal now, not the tiny eraser size and chewing 30 time before swallowing and than throwing up any way.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

mitlove2003
on 12/25/13 7:24 pm - Clayton, DE
Nope no hate. I was just looking for people that hv been successful with the band. I've found a couple and I'm happy that I hv. I hope everything works out for you. I do realize band surgery like other WLS doesn't work out for everyone
NanaB .
on 12/25/13 8:37 pm, edited 12/25/13 9:33 pm

I am going on 9 years, still happy and healthy. I would not change to any other procedure even after having my old band removed with a new one (due to a hiatal hernia). As long as I don't have horrible complications, I will repair or "fix" any mechanical issues to keep my weight down.

Congrats on your years of success and good luck!

Edited to add: There are MANY long term successful bandsters, they just don't post here, since this forum has become a "doom and gloom" forum.

mitlove2003
on 12/25/13 10:26 pm - Clayton, DE
Thanks Nana..I appreciate the feedback
annie0039
on 12/26/13 1:02 am, edited 12/26/13 1:04 am

The thing you will so often hear is that your either a band Cheerleader or a Band Hater.

The point is that either way If it works for you then you'll love it, I'd  have to say Most honestly loved their bands when they were losing and not having complications. And depending on the complications  some don't mind having another surgery to replace a port or tubing or readjusting the band. I personally don't "get that"? it's another surgery.

If you going to call a person that has had erosion of the band into their stomach, or now have to eat via a Feeding Tube or were left with a band too tight to eat anything a Hater?...well then I guess they have a reason to hate the band.

I personally Don't Hate the band, I just don't feel that they have ever given the TRUE stats on Failures. the percentages aren't correct So I ask how can anyone currently make an informed decision.

It used to be touted as a "lifetime"  now of course they say it's reversible, I don't/didn't want reversible or persistent pain.

ALL WLS's have complications, we know we've heard it incessantly. IMHO I just would have preferred one that that lasted and didn't need to be replaced, repaired, or Multiple surgeries to fix *SIGH*

Good Luck in whatever you decide.

TracyK
on 12/31/13 6:41 am - FL

I was banded in Germany (self-pay) in Dec 2004 and just hit my 9 year mark.  I am 100% pleased with the 85 pound weight loss I have accomplished.  I started at 230 and am now around 145 or so.  I do have my days where what I could eat yesterday will not agree with me today.  My worst items are bread, spaghetti noodles (others are ok), hard boiled eggs, and chicken (unless shredded).  I have started running more and even completed my first "official" 16K race.  I have had issues in 2010 with my gall bladder and had it removed with an unfill during that time.  After a month wait after removal I was able to have my fills again.  I am now at my sweet spot and feel wonderful.  I have not seen my doctor since 2011 since I moved (military move) to France.  However, If I do have an issue I am not that far away from a doctor who will be able to see me.  I listen to my band and let it tell me what I can and can't do.  Scary as it may be, it is what I do.  I do my best to treat myself right, I figure since I paid for it out of my own pocket I will make sure to follow the books as best I can.  

On 18 Dec, I was finally able to have my TT done and am feeling good about my whole weightloss journey.  

Thank you,

Tracy

Lap-Band/Dec 2004 - Starting weight: 230
Band Removal June 2015 (Sadly) - Weight 215
Revision Apr 2017 - Weight 240, CW 194, GW - 145

Most Active