3 Days Post-Op - Anyone else banded this past week?

jurnee
on 12/7/13 10:45 pm, edited 12/8/13 5:57 am
Lap Band on 12/05/13

Are there any other recent December Lab Band patients?  I need a buddy...

I'm new to this - only 3 days post-op.  I was expecting pain, but not THIS much.  Lower right where the port is feels like burning / ripping whenever I move, and the left shoulder pain is non-stop.  I finally slept for more than 1 hour yesterday afternoon.

I want to EAT something so badly - liquid diet before and now after... I KNOW I need to look to the future, but selfishly I just want a burger or SOMETHING. I realize that's how I got to where I am, but I want to sink my teeth into something substantial!  

I also never received official post-op instructions from my surgeon so I've been trying to follow the Lap Band pamphlet - why are CLEAR liquids so important?  I've been drinking the meal replacement shakes...  What other options do I have?

5'4" HW 241   First GW: 165  Banded: 12/05/13 @ 233 

First Fill: 12/16/2013 4cc // Second Fill 3/12/14 1.5cc // Fill Reduction 3/17/14 -.5cc // Total 5cc

Nic M
on 12/8/13 12:20 am

Make sure you walk as much as possible to dispel the gas used during surgery. That will hopefully help you with the shoulder pain.

Are you keeping on top of the pain by taking painkillers? Take them if you have them! (Captain Obvious! Ha.) 

Good luck. Hope you feel better soon! 

jurnee
on 12/8/13 1:46 am
Lap Band on 12/05/13

Thank you for the advice Nic M - I've been walking around the house as much as possible (too cold to walk outside) & I've kept the heating pad on my shoulder when I'm resting.  I DO feel better today's just the incision is really bothering me.  I'm up to date on pain meds too. 

I'm at the point where I'm scared to drink too much - I'm terrified to cause any of those post-op complications so I think I'm under-eating.  I've been drinking protein / meal replacement shakes even though they're not "clear liquid".  

Hislady
on 12/8/13 3:08 am - Vancouver, WA

Don't be afraid to drink fluids, they go straight thru the band no problem. In fact dehydration is a far more serious issue so please drink (sip) as much as possible, it'll help you feel better too. Try some gas X for the left shoulder (gas) pains, it helps sometimes. Just follow your surgeons orders and you will do well. The first 3-5 days are the worst so you should start feeling much better soon. Good luck to you!

Cauline
on 12/12/13 10:02 pm, edited 12/12/13 10:15 pm

I'm a June 2009 patient, but I remember it well. For the gas, I found that any movement I could do on the bed, i.e., rolling, pressed the gas out of me. It hurt, but left me better in the long run.

I lost a lot of weight, and then gained it back when my mother got cancer and died, and I couldn't find my way. Last month, I found what I think is going to be a permanent lifestyle change that is sustainable and satisfying and will help me to lose weight. There is a lot of information about it on the internet - basically, low carb, high fat, adequate protein. My suggestion to you is to keep doing the shakes, but make sure that there are no carbs in the protein powder, and add some extra virgin coconut oil to the mix. 2 TBS will give you energy and take away the cravings and need to eat, and the protein in the shake will keep you from burning your muscle tissue. Coconut oil has a TON of benefits for your body.

It solidifies at 72 degrees, but if you melt it in the microwave then add some of your ingredients then mix it with an immersion blender and then add the rest, it will have a smooth consistency. It's yummy, healthy, and most of all, satisfying.

(edited for unfinished sentence)

Lisawantstobehealthy
on 1/6/14 1:06 pm

I was banded on 12/12. I looked 5 months pregnant I was so bloated from the surgery. Almost 4 weeks post op and I am still gassy but things are moving (thank goodness).  I sure could use a buddy myself. Went to the support group my doctor organizes tonight and I was the only one there. So now I am here. Let's help each other be super successful! This is the year I will be super healthy that is my pledge. 

goddessgrrl
on 1/6/14 2:07 pm - VA

Wait, Jurnee. Did you say, "I also never received official post-op instructions from my surgeon"?

That is completely unacceptable. CALL YOUR SURGEON'S OFFICE IMMEDIATELY.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active