Leaking Lap Band around the Band

Donna4
on 12/4/13 8:01 am

HELP!!  I am 7 years out on my successful lap band surgery.  I lost over 100 lbs and have maintained for the last 4 years.  I went for a fill a month ago and the doctor that performed my lap band surgery discovered a leak around my band.  I have gained over 30 lbs in the past month and I am terrified the weight is creeping back on me. 

The surgeon told me that my band that he put in me in 2007 was defective.  Is anyone else experiencing this problem????

The surgeon told me that there is a class action lawsuit against the lap band manufacturer, but he would need his fees of $3000 up front for him to remove the band and put in the new updated band. I am terrified of the weight I am gaining, but also can't afford the $3000. WHAT TO DO!!! HELP!!

Herman
on 12/4/13 10:08 am

Sounds like you need to see a new doctor.

If the band was defective why did it wait until now, 7 years later to leak?

I don't know about a class action lawsuit but you may want to try to find out if that is true.

Good Luck

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/13 5:52 pm
On December 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM Pacific Time, Herman wrote:

Sounds like you need to see a new doctor.

If the band was defective why did it wait until now, 7 years later to leak?

I don't know about a class action lawsuit but you may want to try to find out if that is true.

Good Luck

Why does the OP need a new doctor?  How is any of this his fault?

Kate -True Brit
on 12/4/13 7:31 pm, edited 12/4/13 7:32 pm - UK

Sorry you are going through this.

I am not sure it can be described as defective if it took 7 years for the leak to show. I developed a leak in the tubing about three or four years post-op but that was caused by the fact that I had lost so much internal fat that the tubing was too long and rubbed against hard muscle tissue. Not because of a band defect. I don't know anything about it other than mentions on here, but I thought the lawsuit was because of mis-selling of the band as a safe and effective device rather than because of defects.

Did the doctor check by injecting dye in via the port under XRay to see where the leak was? I assume so or he could not have been sure it was in the band rather than the tubing.  I have to say that price for removing and replacing a band is incredibly cheap! It is a bigger op than the original one. My leak repair was much less major, UK medical costs are lower and that still cost me £2,250, so around $3000.

i know only too well how easy regain is but 30lbs in a month is going it some!! Are you on some sort of meds that make weight gain likely? Has your thyroid been checked?

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Donna4
on 12/5/13 12:20 pm

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your comments.  I went 3 years without a fill because I was maintaining my weight and was a nice "sweet spot".  When I did return about 6 weeks ago to get my first fill in three years, the band did not hold the saline. After the 2nd fill, the doctor did inject the dye and an xray detected the small leaks around the band. 

The doctor did say the 30 lb weight gain over the past 4-6 weeks is mostly water gain. My hands, legs and ankles are so swollen, I can't wear my rings.  This is concerning since my mom died when she was only 36 years old because of fluid building up around her heart causing a heart attack. 

I have searched the internet regarding defective lap bands, but I have not found anything.  Defective lap band was his words, not mine.

Thanks again for replying to my message. I guess I'm scared of not only gaining the weight back, but also because I'm not unsure if the information I am receiving is correct. 

Kate -True Brit
on 12/5/13 4:11 pm - UK

Hope you work out a way forward. Best wishes.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

annie0039
on 12/5/13 12:19 am, edited 12/5/13 12:21 am

Get a new Doctor!!  You don't need to pay him anything to get it removed!  I'd love to know what he's talking about in regards to a Class Action lawsuit??? the only one I'm aware of is against that  Clinic in Cali that Conned all their patient's, That one is against the Doctors AND the Clinic NOT the manufacturer. If you find a new Doctor don't let that one CON you into a new Lap Band studies show 2 nd bands don't work!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17593435

it's JMHO but your Doctor is lying to you, Leaks occur , there are No reports of Defective bands or it would be Published PUBLIC knowledge! And the only reports have been about ports, not leaking and yes, unfortunately your going to regain. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/13 1:12 am
On December 5, 2013 at 8:19 AM Pacific Time, annie0039 wrote:

Get a new Doctor!!  You don't need to pay him anything to get it removed!  I'd love to know what he's talking about in regards to a Class Action lawsuit??? the only one I'm aware of is against that  Clinic in Cali that Conned all their patient's, That one is against the Doctors AND the Clinic NOT the manufacturer. If you find a new Doctor don't let that one CON you into a new Lap Band studies show 2 nd bands don't work!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17593435

it's JMHO but your Doctor is lying to you, Leaks occur , there are No reports of Defective bands or it would be Published PUBLIC knowledge! And the only reports have been about ports, not leaking and yes, unfortunately your going to regain. 

Sez who?

It's not the surgeons fault if the band is defective so why doesn't he get paid for his services?  If the band is actually defective then the OP needs to go to the band maker and they pay the surgeon OR.... the OP pays the surgeon and hopes the band maker reimburses.  However, the only defect I am aware of for that time frame is a port and they were not replacing them unless they needed to be replaced.  That is void if anyone has EVER entered the port with the wrong needle.  If it is not a Huber needle it voids the entire warranty on the band.  Forever.  And yes, they can tell.  That is why the band/port is returned to the band maker so they can determine if a non huber needle has ever been used on that port.  

As for a class action lawsuit, you don't get out much.  Do you?  You need to keep up on current events.

annie0039
on 12/5/13 2:48 am

thanks for your concern But i do get out  Plenty kiss

Like I said IF there was a Class Action Lawsuit Where is it?

MSSEXXC74
on 12/5/13 7:16 pm

I thought insurance paid for removing defective bands ?

MSSEXXC

Most Active