Band removal

rene
on 11/22/13 12:35 am - Northeast, WI

Hi,

I have to have my band out next month due stomach prolaspe.  My doctor was willing to put in another one in 6-8 weeks after.  Just wondering for those who had it out.  What was the recovery time? How did you feel?  We are swamped at work and debating on having it out in Dec or Jan.

Also, for that ones that had it removed did you have another one placed? If so, how it that going?

Thank you,

Rene'

annie0039
on 11/22/13 5:02 am

Rene" 

Sorry that your having Complications with your Band. You might be interested in reading this study about 

High secondary failure rate of rebanding after failed gastric banding.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17593435

Also another informative page is this 

Complications associated with Gastric Banding  For morbid Obesity: A Surgeon's Guide 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3038361/

The rate of failed Bands is 50%. Due to Complications, I don't know where your at in your LB journey But to be Honest you'd be better off allowing the band to be removed and Researching a Different Weight loss Surgery, especially If you don't want to end up having Multiple Surgeries due to the band !

#1 Placement, #2 removal of current #3 Replacing 2nd band, #4 THEN another WL Surgery IF your LUCKY enough to have Bariatric coverage to Revise  SOME are not that Lucky. ;) 

Personally If your Surgeon "pushes" to Re-band you I'd RUN as Fast as Possible to a Different Surgeon and get a 2nd Opinion. But that is just MY Opinion.

teacherlori
on 11/22/13 2:34 pm - Moroni, UT

What were your symptoms of stomach prolapse ? I ask because I have the band also  and always worry about this  My Daughter had to have her band removed due to slippage.Because of the high rate of recurring slippage she opted to have the vertical sleeve and hasn't  had any more problems.

Good luck,

Lori

pineview01
on 11/22/13 4:08 pm - Davison, MI

My band cause issues and I had it totally unfilled three times with increasing wait periods in between.  Finally they totally unfilled it and removed it.  I than fought to get it revised to a sleeve.  With the failure rates even higher for the second time around, I would never have gotten another band.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Hislady
on 11/23/13 2:31 am - Vancouver, WA

A second band is rarely successful  and tends to end up with the same problem as the first. Plus a band isn't designed to be a permanent fixture, even the manufacturer says they last 5-10 yrs at the most so you would still be looking at another surgery down the road. Myself I would look at another type of surgery like the sleeve instead of another band.

tdbull
on 11/23/13 4:32 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I lost 130 lbs with first band. Then it slipped, couldn't even drink protein shakes without foaming. Replaced in 2011 with new, 11cc band. Never found my sweet spot and gained 60 lbs along with severe reflux. Just had 2nd band removed and RNY. Doing great at just over 3 months out. No reflux, no foam is, no vomiting and I'm losing the weight again. Best decision I made.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Most Active