Band Slipped - Thoughts needed

rene
on 11/19/13 11:21 pm - Northeast, WI

Just found out yesterday that my band has slipped.  They are deflating it today in hopes it goes back.  If not, they will either go in and try to adjust it or take out the band.  This is all new to me and just wanted to see who all experienced this and what I should except.  I think they said they would give it a week but doesn't it take longer to go back if does?

Thanks,

Rene'

Bette B.
on 11/20/13 12:43 am

Everyone's band slip experience will be different.

Mine was caused my almost-constant vomiting due to a hiatal hernia and my refusal to want to confront the issue for fear of losing my band altogether.

When my surgeon went in to fix the hernia, he took out my old band and put in the "new and improved one."  I put that in quotes because I actually had better luck finding the perfect fill level with the first one, but the second one is okay, too.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

rene
on 11/22/13 12:40 am - Northeast, WI

Thanks Bette,

I met with my surgeon yesterday and he said said I did well with the first band he would be willing to put another one in. But i have to wait 6-8 weeks before he will do that.  Have you had any problems with the "new" band? 

I think very few people are rebanded, what made you choose the band again vs other wls?  Did you think you would gain weight back without the band?

Thanks for sharing :)

Jean M.
on 11/20/13 1:16 am, edited 11/20/13 1:17 am
Revision on 08/16/12

Rene,

My band slipped. I hadn't been having any problems prior to that. We removed all the saline from my band and gave it 6 weeks rest, then gradually began adding more fill. My symptoms (chest pain, reflux, swallowing and eating problems) disappeared as soon as my band was empty. I eventually lost the 10 lbs I'd gained during the rest period.

I'm not sure what you mean by "doesn't it take longer to go back if does?" Do you mean does it take longer than a week for the band to return to the correct position after an unfill? My band was in the correct position when I had an upper GI to check it about 10 days after the unfill. Depending on the nature of the slip (did the band slip up onto your esophagus or further down onto your stomach?) and how long you've been having symptoms, I suppose it could take longer for the problem to resolve. Seems like a good idea to let any irritation or inflammation related to upper GI symptoms calm down before you starting putting more fill in there, but your surgeon is the best judge of that.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Most Active