Band Over Bypass

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/13 11:04 am

I have bipolar disorder and i  had RNY in July 2009 and by September i was not doing well, later to find out that i was no longer absorbing my key bipolar med due to my new guts. I was placed on a med that made me gain weight by the bucket full but keep my mental state stable.

Fast forward to present day i am 30 lbs away from where i started and my GP, psychiatrist and surgeon believe the band is my best chance to help me feel satiated and restrict the amount i can eat. I no longer take the aforementioned medication and will not need to again now that we found a fast effect new one.

I am 36 and I have osteoarthritis in my knees and hips from over use as an athlete in my younger days which makes walking very painful BUT i do it anyway because i want to stay active as much as this fat slow body will let me.

I know with the lifestyle i live the band will help me achieve my goals with the hard work i already put in. I am fully aware that it is not a magical fix all, like everything worthwhile it takes hard work and that's what im good at.

I am looking forward to this surgery and am very blessed to have such amazing support around me because good support is also key to successful weight loss.

heathercross
on 11/23/13 7:40 am - New York, NY

Hi. I'm the "heather cross" .  Why do you think this will work?  What was the outcome of the CT Scan and the Endoscopy?  Has your pouch stretched?  Has your stomas stretched as well?  If your stomach stretched, YES, I think the BOB will work.  If your stoma stretched - I don't know, I'd get your RNY revised.  But, if its none of the above, I'd diet and workout and work your RNY.  

You mention nothing of how you qualified for the BOB other than it was easy to get approved.  The BOB is hard plus its a diet in essence. I had my RNY in 8/2002. I had my BOB in 6/2011.  While  don't feel huingry, I still occasionally overeat.  I do like my band, but, it is a lot of work. 100X more work than the RNY ever was.  

FYI, with a band, I hope you meds come in liquid format bc you wouldn't be able to get them down.  

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/13 8:29 am, edited 11/23/13 8:30 am

My surgeon thinks it will work and i have great faith in him. My stoma did not stretch but my pouch and stomach did.

I know it is going to be tough and meds are dissolvable in water.

I already work out and keep to my high protein low fat and sugar diet. I just dont feel satiated so the band will help me in that critical aspect of my weight loss journey.

Im glad you chimed in, thanks.

heathercross
on 11/23/13 8:37 am - New York, NY

I'm glad you clarified this.  If it was your pouch, I think it will work for you.  if it was your stoma, I'd say not so much.  I wish you luck.  Make sure both of your doctors (your therapist) and surgeon are in contact so you are successful and your meds don't have a less than desirable affect.  Also, please make sure your new surgeon fills your band gradually.  Did he tell you if he will prep it at 2cc during the surgery?  That way you can get a little at a time.  Also, what size band are you having?  most BOBS get a large bands (14cc) due to excessive scar tissue from the RNY/

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/13 11:13 am

14 cc band. He does not fill it until 4 weeks after surgery to allow the swelling of the surgery to subside.

My psychiatrist, GP and surgeon are in contact with each other to make sure my meds are being absorbed well.

Can you tell me what foods you have trouble with and which ones are easierst, i know its different for each person, but im just curious.

heathercross
on 11/24/13 12:11 am - New York, NY

Its subjective.  And it depends on what time of day it is and if you are on your monthly cycle.  I am tightest in the AM so I eat eggs daily - I eat egg beater omelettes with veggies and meat daily or quiche.  I think I've eaten eggs everyday since 2002.  I eat anything but bread.  I cannot do bread but I can do a wrap, or some pasta - like gnocchi but not noodles.  I cannot do leftovers.  I miss cereal with milk the most and I miss peanut butter & jelly sandwiches on wheat toast.

Feel free to email me [email protected]

rubye
on 12/29/13 10:28 pm - Mineral, VA

Heather, why is the band more work than rny? I am getting ready to call for an appointment for a consultation today. I have been thinking and rethinking for a month now. I would like honest, but positive answers. Sometimes people get angry because I think my surgery has failed me, and I get schooled for how I eat or do not exercise, but I promise I eat right and exercise. So please tell me how it is more work in a little more detail. and why was my friend up there deactivated? Did she do this herself? 

heathercross
on 1/1/14 6:27 am - New York, NY

Hi - if it says deactivated, she deactivated herself.  My guess, she didn't like what she heard or didn't hear what she wanted to hear and deactivated herself.  I read your comments above so have you had a CT Scan of your abdomen yet or an endoscopy?  You said you are gaining weight and that is impossible if you are eating less than 1200 calories a day?  Your first steps would be to see a surgeon or your old surgeon and get those tests.  They will indicate if you are mechanically still in tact.  As I've said before, if your stoma is stretched, I think the BOB is not for you and wouldn't work.  if your stoma is stretched you should consider a DS or an RNY revision.  However, none of this matters until you find out why your gaining.  You may need some tough love bc you cannot be gaining on 1200 calories.  Diary your food and I bet you will see you are eating more like 3000.

Why is the BOB harder than the RNY?  Bc you could do nothing and lose with the RNY.  Weight just falls off, how do you think you lose 100lbs in less than 6 mos?  Your stomach is so small you just lose.  The band is trial and error. Some people never really get the right adjustment and also eat slider foods and beat the band.

rubye
on 1/1/14 6:53 am - Mineral, VA

I journal, I do. I have actually decided against the band. There is no way I eat 3000 calories a day. I eat clean.  I couldn't even stomach that. I don't eat dairy, wheat, sugar, most grains. I could improve my exercise, and I am working on that too. I had a scope about 4 years ago, they said everything was fine.  I am 50 now and I think that I must adjust my expectations about weight loss and health. All around , I am healthy so this was actually advice from my GP who had me crying in his office. 

heathercross
on 1/1/14 6:57 am - New York, NY

Then I have no idea why you are gaining weight.  How much have you gained?  What was your original weight, your lowest from the RNY?  How much have you regained?  I don't mean to sound argumentative or judgmental but weight loss is simple.  Burn more calories than you eat.  

Most Active