Band Over Bypass

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/13 3:42 pm

Hi all, i am having the Lapband placed over my failed bypass this coming December. I am very excited as it was the surgery i initially wanted but my first surgeon talked me out of. I am still greatful i had the bypass as i can no longer tolerate sugar or really fatty food, but i just do not feel full after my meals, so my GP said i should have the LapBand placed in to help me achieve a satiated feeling. I am very lucky that this time round i did not need to jump thru hoops to get coverage, all i did was fax the referral to the surgeon and the same day i have my surgery scheduled for next month and my insurance pays it 100%.

I truly feel it is meant to be as all things are aligning for a smooth transition.

Are there any Band Over Bypassers out there??

Kate -True Brit
on 11/18/13 5:32 pm - UK

There are quite a few. If no-one comes on to reply, trying looking up Heathercross, she is a very successful BOB patient and very happy to assert questions. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

heathercross
on 11/24/13 12:12 am - New York, NY

Hey Kate, just wanted to say hi and Happy Holidays. I check in like once a week maybe 2!   Hope you are well.

Kate -True Brit
on 11/24/13 1:25 am - UK

Hi, Heather, all well with me. And you? Actually I am cross with myself. Tried on the skirt I wore last Christmas (US size 10) and it us a bit tight! Gonna have to wear a top over it to hide my tummy!  But, hey, size 10 slightly tight? I can live with that!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

heathercross
on 11/25/13 10:53 pm - New York, NY

Hey Kate -  I have a few of those but don't let it get you down.  I just leave the top button undone or just don't wear it.

I'm sick and on steroids so I am eating like I have a tape worm.  I had this last xmas and gained 10lbs but thankfully lost it in about 10--15 days time. I expect it to be the same. I am headed to NYC on the 16th and will see my Surgeon the 1st time since April. I think I may ask for a fill. I haven't had one in ages I think.  Maybe ask for that thing that tells how much fluid is actually in there - what's that called again?

Also, I think you maybe on here more often then me, so, please continue to tell those potential bandsters to seek me out. I log in like once a week or every 10 days and always fine the posts.

Heather

rubye
on 11/19/13 10:24 pm - Mineral, VA

Hi, My name is Patty and I had my RNY surgery in 1999. I initially lost a hundred pounds, and now I stand today at a 50% regain and I am in such a struggle. It doesn't matter what I do or do not do I can only manage to lose a pound here and there. I wonder Aussie_Spanish_Princess, what is your story? I am considering doing a lapband over this bypass and am unsure if I can even do it. I feel just like I felt before I decided to do surgery in the first place at the point where I feel like such a complete failure, even more so because I had surgery 14 years ago. I am a very tiny lady and my caloric intake needs to be so small. Please any advice or insight is welcome. Thank you wink

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/13 6:23 am

That all really depends on why you regained.  Is it diet related?  A band isn't going to help that and in fact, will likely make it worse.

Is there a mechanical problem with your bypass?  Have you had an upper GI?  How large is your pouch and how many mm is your stoma?  A band isn't a magical fix, you have to identify the reason for the regain.

rubye
on 11/20/13 6:58 am - Mineral, VA

I am not looking for a magical fix. I have been busting my butt trying to lose this weight and it does not budge. I had an upper GI about three years ago and everything was normal.  I do not know how many MM's my stoma is, quite frankly. I wish I had an answer. I am going to try to get one. What do you mean diet related? Like, am I eating too much. I am eating under 1200 calories every day. My weight goes up, not down. So IDK.

rubye
on 11/20/13 9:31 pm - Mineral, VA

IDB1095, please elaborate regarding "making it worse". I am listening...

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/13 8:32 am

Im there with you.

Most Active