Liquids-How much at a time?

Mo-Mo
on 11/9/13 10:33 am
Lap Band on 11/08/13

Hello all, just had surgery yesterday, trying my best to make sure I heal correctly.  Reading thru the discharge instructions it says to drink fluids "a little at a time" and to consume at least 48 to 64 oz a day.  Well, what does that mean???  When you're on a liquid diet and consuming broths and shakes, how much is too much???  I have tried to drink 3 oz of broth one teaspoon full at a time, like it was soup.  But how long should I wait until I drink water?  I am thirsty, but am scared to stretch my esophagus.  Thanks in advance for the help!

Kate -True Brit
on 11/10/13 12:54 am - UK

Just keep sipping! Liquids go straight through the banded area and so won't stretch anything.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

kathkeb
on 11/10/13 2:42 am
Liquids are not likely to stretch anything.

I had a hernia repair at the same time as my band, and it was hard to drink at first, so I worked on getting an ounce every 10-15 minutes.... Carefully sipping tiny amounts of water.

You are probably on all liquids, so you can rotate between soup or broth and water and Popsicles and tea, I would imagine.

Just keep sipping and walking .. Your main 2 jobs for the first week.
Kath

pineview01
on 11/10/13 5:34 am - Davison, MI

Our instructions were, 1oz liquid every 15 minutes, 4 oz per hour.  This is the first week.  By the end of second week we were suppose to work up to 8 oz per hour.  During this time we didn't wait between "eating" and drinking as everything was liquid.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Pickles123
on 11/10/13 10:40 am

Don't worry about too much, worry about too little.  Just keep drinking.

Most Active